Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network devices  (Read 12631 times)

kolteblount

Network devices
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:30:29 PM »
ok, so.  *breaths deeply*  >:(

I bought a d-link router for a home network, set it all up, no go.  I had no internet connections on either computer hooked up to the router.

called d-link tech. support. after hours of unecessary b.s. they told me to call my ISP, grande communications.  Grande refered me back to d-link, whom refered me back to grande; who, you guessed it, refered me back to d-link.

I returned the router, and am now the owner of a linksys router, and have internet on what I will call, the mother computer.  However, my secondary comptuer, was still internetless, so to the phone I went, and I called grande.  Grande did a bunch of stuff, and finally told me to...

go to start, control panel, system, harware tab, device manager, network devices......but hold the phone.  I don't have one of these "network adapter thinggies to click on".  However, my ethernet cable it snuggly secured into the back of my computer, and when I put in the happy go lucky drivers and utilities discs for my Dell Opti Plex ((resourceCD for reinstalling Device Drivers and using diagnostics, utilities and system requirements....))  go to the network whatever, and extract...it brings up a page that tells me to...

go to start, control panel, system, harware tab, device manager, network devices...

I still dont have this netwrok devices link.

I'm a little stressed with the whole situation.

I'm contemplating killing something.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Network devices
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
    It may not be enabled in the BIOS, so that's why you don't see it in DM.

Reboot, look for something (like F2 or F10 or some fool thing) to access the BIOS.  Once there use your arrow keys to move thru the menu and look for integrated devices or something (I'm REALLY tired now so I might not be too coherent  :P ).  Look for ethernet adapter or something and make sure it's enabled.

Good luck.  I'm going to bed now  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 03:15:51 AM »
    How did you configure the router? If you can access the Internet on one computer, you should be able to access it on another computer UNLESS:

• You have no Network card or it has no drivers installed
    • You set the Router to DHCP but the computer is not set to automatically obtain an IP adress
    • You disabled DHCP but set the router to automatically assign an IP adress

There's probably a few more scenarios, but these are most likely to happen in your home network environment.

What kind of connection do you have?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
    Would you be able to post a photo of the back of your computer?  Or maybe give us the Optiplex model number?
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:25:37 PM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

downundersteve

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:48:53 PM »
    Hi there

I don't suppose you are getting confused between a USB cable and an Ethernet, (RJ45) cable?

do a google picture search on google for each type of cable if you are unsure.

Steve