Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't start windows setup  (Read 2558 times)

cl0ud99

can't start windows setup
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:47:28 PM »
i don't know if this is the right thread i should be posting it..

i recently reformat my HDD  and tried installing it with my windows xp pro and it got as far as windows is starting setup. u know with the blue screen. but thats where setup freezes. only way i was able to reformat was using my sisters computer. . my sister can start setup just fine but mine freezes. i don't understand what could be wrong..>_>..someone please give me some opinions.

Raptor

Re: can't start windows setup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:28:18 PM »
You should test the RAM and Hard Disk Drive using diagnostic software.

cl0ud99

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »
the HDD works fine when i unplug and use it on my sisters ...i mean i was able to install  windows without any problems. but trying it again on mine it freezes still at setup. this all started when i was playing a game and the computer froze. since i couldn't execute any commands i restarted. from there on i reformat >_> because windows wouldn't start. safe mode wouldn't work. if my HDD works fine on my sisters what else could be the problem..advise please. still trying to learn

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:46:38 PM »
 welcome to computer clOud99.

Are you able to try another CD-rom/CD-writer on your computer?

Are you able to try another IDE  cable on the above mentioned
optical drive?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 10:47:32 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 04:32:47 AM »
the HDD works fine when i unplug and use it on my sisters ...i mean i was able to install  windows without any problems. but trying it again on mine it freezes still at setup. this all started when i was playing a game and the computer froze. since i couldn't execute any commands i restarted. from there on i reformat >_> because windows wouldn't start. safe mode wouldn't work. if my HDD works fine on my sisters what else could be the problem..advise please. still trying to learn

Then you should test the RAM. Microsoft RAM diagnostic(click)

And what you did is not the right way to test the HDD, I said "Diagnostic software" not "brethren"  :P

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »
So you loaded Windows on one machine and then transferred that hard drive to another machine and expected it to work?