Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd+g format  (Read 2198 times)

indiana

cd+g format
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »
I have a lap top with everything but the kitchen sink, (so I thought) but it will not read cd+g as in the popular kareoke disks, it will play the sound but will not show the graphics, even though i have a cd-r and a dvd-r drive, do i need any more hardware or is it a matter of having the right software.

I hope someone has the answer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: cd+g format
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:10:29 AM »
As far as i know karaoke CD's are encrypted to prevent unlawful copyright breaking copies ....

Sorry.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »
What the heck is CD + G?  :-?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »
A CD+G (also known as CD+Graphics) is a special audio compact disc that contains graphics data in addition to the audio data on the disc. The disc can be played on a regular audio CD player, but when played on a special CD+G player, can output a graphics signal (typically, the CD+G player is hooked up to a television set or a computer monitor); these graphics are almost exclusively used to display lyrics on a television set for karaoke performers to sing along with.

In each sector there are 2352 bytes (24 * 98) of audio content data and 96 bytes of subchannel data.

The 96 bytes of subchannel information in each sector contain four packets of 24 bytes apiece :

1 byte for command, 1 byte for instruction, 2 bytes for parityQ, 16 bytes for data, and 4 bytes parityP.

Each of the 96 subchannel data bytes can be thought of as being divided into 8 bits. Each of these bits corresponds to a separate stream of information. These streams are called "channels", and are labeled starting with the letter P, like so:
Channel       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V       W
Bit       7       6       5       4       3       2       1       0

Both the P and Q channels on a regular audio CD are used for timing information. They are used to assist the CD player in tracking the current location on the disc, and to provide the timing information for the time display on the CD player. Note that same space is used for CD-TEXT as well.

Channel Q is used for control purposes of more sophisticated players. It contains position information the Media Catalog Number (MCN), and International Standard Recording Code (ISRC). The ISRC is used by the media industry, and contains information about the country of origin, the year of publication, owner of the rights, as well as a serial number, and some additional tags:

Data
    This track contains Data (rather than audio). Can be used for muting in audio CD Players.

SCMS Flag
    Used by the Serial Copy Management System to indicate permission to digitally copy the track.

Four-Channel Audio
    The track uses four channel audio. Used very rarely on Compact Discs.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »
Alright, Thanks.