Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows xp  (Read 4694 times)

malcolm

Windows xp
« on: September 19, 2004, 04:53:37 AM »
Please help!  Stupidly I deleted a virus that attatched itself to XP.  Now I cant get  the computer to start up.  It gets to just before the welcome screen before stopping and giving the message 'STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum).  The image COMCTL32.dll is possibly corrupt.  The header checksum does not match the computed checksum'  I have tried restarting using all the possible F8 options and also tried rebooting using floppy - no joy.  can anyone help a complete computer novice.???

robertmillar

Re: Windows xp
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 05:04:31 AM »
Boot from the XP CD and use the  repair utility

malcolm

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 05:10:04 AM »
I dont have the cd to boot from.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 05:25:38 AM »
Then you will have to obtain one?

malcolm

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 06:48:28 AM »
managed to borrow a disk.  Problem now solved.  Many thanks for your help.  ;D

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 05:08:40 AM »
I dont know if i'm in the right section, but could you please tell me the name of agood formatting disc please, i need to clean my computer completely before i reinstall xp, i have an emachine, so it just comes with restore discs, and i have fotmatted the computer at least 15 times over the last week with these disc but something is still staying there. thanx,hope you can help cause i'm really fed up  :(

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 05:59:01 AM »
Format C: is a very good command.. You donot need anything else, unless you're part of the Department of Defense..

What 'remains' there?

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 06:37:29 AM »
thanx for replying. well, after i use my restore discs, my registery gets flooded immediately when i log on to the net, i send loads of mbs out somewhere and recieve loads, msconfig wont show, pages wont display, it's like i have aspy that follows me around.i get flooded with trojans, it's anitemare. i tried to get my ip addy changed but tiscali say it changes everytime i log on anyway. i just dont think my computer is being properly formatted with these restore discs.thanx, i was told about delpart, but that doesnt work, i just need something to wipe it completely clean, then put on the restore disc, i hate emachines lol i wish i had brought adell, they come with the proper discs.

Joleen

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 06:48:05 AM »
Disconnect from the net and format, reinstall windows then make sure you put on a decent firewall and antivirus.  After all that, reconnect and update.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 09:35:20 AM »
Take proper precautions before connecting to the Internet..

Mac

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 11:32:38 AM »
I dont know if i'm in the right section, but could you please tell me the name of agood formatting disc please, i need to clean my computer completely before i reinstall xp, i have an emachine, so it just comes with restore discs, and i have fotmatted the computer at least 15 times over the last week with these disc but something is still staying there. thanx,hope you can help cause i'm really fed up  :(

Hello Sandra, If you can borrow an XP CD you can partition and format with that, so that you can prepare the drive to do the re-install.

Can you boot directly onto your first eMachines Master CD? Does it not give you an option to partition and format?

When you have done the basic installation you should add SP2 from the Free Windows SP2 CD immediately, to save you time updating.

You need to disconnect your modem whilst re-installing, then add your anti-virus and firewall programs before re-connecting, and you need to configurre the firewall as well. I use AVG Free Edition Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Free Firewall.

As soon as you connect to the internet update the anti-virus and do a full scan.

Then add SpyBot SD, AdAware SE and SpywareBlaster, update them all and run scans for Trojans.

Then update the XP Operating System.

Ausimax

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 11:18:29 PM »
Sandra

I hope you have managed to get your problem sorted, when you do I would suggest you get a copy of Norton Ghost to save this happening again- You can Get Norton System Works 2003 on eBay for $3.99 and it includes Ghost - don't get later models as some don't include Ghost and also require verification.