Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer won't open any program  (Read 20610 times)

Katja S

my computer won't open any program
« on: September 19, 2004, 02:07:02 PM »
I have this really big problem with my computer. I had two anti virus programs installed (AVG and Norman) and about a week ago AVG detected some Trojan horses and worm called agebot or something like that. As far as I know, both of them were removed successfully. But after that, when I turned on my computer again, the problems began. Since that, I haven't been able to start several programs like Musicmatch jukebox, Windows Media Player or a program that connects my computer to the internet. But Word, Explorer, Outlook and all anti virus programs work.
I looked at processes in task manager and I found out, that whenever I tried to open i.e. Musicmatch jukebox, a process called mmjb.exe started, but after few seconds it disappeared. Also my CPU ussage is often 100% even if I don't have any programs running.
When I have i.e. three aplications open(explorer and anti virus programs), they only show in task manager applications but not on taskbar. Whenever I want to switch the programs I have to run Task manager by pressing ctrl alt delete and switch them from there.
I also noticed, that copy-paste function and links in explorer don't work. Whenever I want to start Windows media player, I get the message: "can't perform operation, low memory."
I tried to solve a problem by using system tools like Windows back up, but the application doesn't open. When I try to open system restore, a window appears, but it is all white. I tried to update my comuter by visting microsoft.com, but all links on that page work normally expect Windows Update.
I really don't know what to do, please help me. Thanks!  

merlin_2

Re: my computer won't open any program
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 02:15:13 PM »
what operating system have you got it helps..scan for trojans ....svchost exe?>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Katja S

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 02:15:56 PM »
Windows XP

Katja S

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 02:17:14 PM »
yes, many of svchost.exe processes are running...

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 02:29:39 PM »
some of them maybe genuine? run the scan...and what was the worm called?and run an online scan as well>http://housecall.trendmicro.com/   also disable system restore ...and then run the scans...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 02:32:49 PM by merlin_2 »

Katja

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:16:56 AM »
I ran the scan and 3 viruses were found - html mh tredir.g, dos agobot.gen and troj ntserv.a ... I also used antivirus program Nod32 and it found a trojan called noclose.gen... All of the viruses were removed, but nothing has changegd...
how can I disable system restore?

merlin_2

Katja

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 08:28:57 AM »
I can't open system restore application... When I click on system restore, a new window opens, but it is blank...

welby

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 08:54:55 AM »
Depending on how effective the virus has been you might be looking at a reinstall.

Do you have a rescue disk or virus scan disk that can boot indepentdent of the OS?  

Running this might eliminate the viruses and allow you to repair the system.

I'd also advise running a single AV program rather than two at once.

Katja

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 02:05:30 PM »
I'm thinking about formatting disk. I have two disks - can I format only one i.e. "C" and keep all my documents and other files on disk "D"? And will I be able to read files after reinstalling windows xp?

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 07:20:33 AM »
Yes.

katja

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 12:37:54 PM »
I've just realised I can't move my files from one disk to another, because copy-paste doesn't work and neither does "move to" function.  I really don't want to lose all my data. Do you have any idea what to do? I guess I have to reinstall OS... Do I lose all my data when I do that? Are there any other chances to keep these files? I can't copy them to CD...

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »
Have you tried dragging and dropping your files onto the other HDD?

Why can you not copy files? Does it give you an error? How big are the files you are trying to save?

katja

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 01:13:14 PM »
what do you mean by dragging and dropping them to HDD? How can I do it?
there are no error messages. It just doesn't work - i can't even copy text in Word... It looks like a whole copy-paste function doesn't work. The files are quite big - about 70 Mb each...

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 01:16:53 PM »
Select the file, keep the LMB (Left Mouse Button) pressed and drag the files to the other HDD (Using Windows Explorer or My Computer) and then release the mouse button to copy.

I am assuming that both HDD's are connected and they are both being detected by Windows.