Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stupid question about 5.1 sound  (Read 2930 times)

janelondon

stupid question about 5.1 sound
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »
Hi, I have a very limited knowledge about computers but one thing I do know is that I need some new speakers.  I found some I like which are these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-530-Multimedia-Theatre-Speaker/dp/B0006LCMK4/ref=sr_11_1/026-4825589-7093230?ie=UTF8

which I think are 5.1 speakers.  I understand that this means you need some kind of a driver in order to use all of the speakers.  I have a laptop (Asus M5N) which has an internal sound card driver thing of some kind, which is a Soundmax Integrated Audio 5.12.01.4010 - is there any way I can tell whether this is 5.1 compatible?

I don't want to have to buy a new soundcard.  When I looked on the soundmax website, it seemed to say that if I used a codec AD1980 then I would be able to use 5.1, however, I could not figure out where to get this codec from (or whether it was a physical thing, or a downloadable thing (which is what I had assumed it would be, having downloaded codecs in the past)).

I hope my question makes vague sense.  I would be really grateful for some help with what is probably an incredibly dumb question.

Many many thanks in advance

Jane

Raptor

Re: stupid question about 5.1 sound
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »
Does it have 4 audio connectors?

janelondon

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:41:13 AM »
Uh, no, I don't think so.  It has what I would consider to be a regular audio socket on one side.  I plug either headphones (regular ipod headphones, not ones with a big plug) or my current (defunct) speakers into this plug.  The speakers I have right now, the wire goes to one of the speakers and from there this speaker connects to the subwoofer and the second little speaker.

So, I think not.  I have had a look and this is the only socket for speakers (there is one next to it for a microphone, but I am guessing that is not much good).

Would I need more than one socket for 5.1 speakers?

ARe the ones at the moment 2.1 speakers?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »
Then you won't be able to connect 5.1 surround speakers. The soundcard does seem to be able to support them, though.

The SoundMAX-class audio codec features 6-channel 5.1 surround sound output, 8 channel 7.1 surround output, array microphone input

I doubt you can connect a 5.1 speaker without buying an external soundcard, though.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:05:40 PM »
Well, you won't be able to install an internal sound card in a laptop, so forget that idea.  As far as I know, you would need two outputs for 5.1 speakers.  These outputs would most likely be called Line Out and Rear.  

Edit: edited to specify "internal sound card".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:21:35 PM by soybean »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »
Well, you won't be able to install a sound card in a laptop, so forget that idea  As far as I know, you would need two outputs for 5.1 speakers.  These outputs would most likely be called Line Out and Rear.  

Were you trying to prove me wrong once again?

There are external soundcards. They are either USB or PCMCIA and Creative makes them.

Line out is not used for 5.1 surround sound.

Subwoofer/Center, Rear and Front are.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 12:15:16 PM »
A USB sound device such as Turtle Beach TBS-1122-01F 7.1 Channels USB Interface Audio Advantage Roadie - Retail or Turtle Beach/Voyetra
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro Virtual 5.1 Surround Sound Channels USB Interface Sound Card - Retail may do the trick.

Edit: Oops, didn't see your last post before I posted this.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:16:34 PM by soybean »

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »
 :D

janelondon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 02:27:47 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies, I think I understand.

One thing I am not so clear on --- does the external sound card that you are talking about have extra sockets into which I could plug all the extra wires??  I did not realise that sound cards contained sockets, but in order for me to be able to use it with these speakers, I guess it must??  

Thanks in advance for clarifying this one.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies, I think I understand.

One thing I am not so clear on --- does the external sound card that you are talking about have extra sockets into which I could plug all the extra wires??  I did not realise that sound cards contained sockets, but in order for me to be able to use it with these speakers, I guess it must??  

Thanks in advance for clarifying this one.

It'll have more jacks, yes. Instead of just stereo/microphone, it might come with Rear/Front/Subwoofer(Center) and Line-in. Or even more, depending on what you buy.

ab30494

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 07:19:58 PM »
You might be able to use 5.1 sound depends on your sound card or mb, i have a bsoindcard biult in to mother board, and i can plug the rear speakers in the lin in jack, just have to run the speaker setup wizard

ff7vii

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:32 AM »
i doubt that her Laptop would have that, and if it did, i think i would be too complicated to be worth it. I would consider myself easily able to hadle it, but would think it too much of a hastle to do so.

They are all right about the external soundcard. I found that i favor the ones that slide into the slt on the side of most laptops. Your's should have one or more as well. Normally they are about the width of a credit card and have a small button that allows you to eject the plastic protector and insert a card. The company 'Creative' makes nice easy to use, good sounding ones. I would look there, that way you can easily keep it with your laptop and not worry about an extra bundle of wires and pieces. But that's just me  ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »
    Its possible that the sound card might have a digital or optical out that would support 5.1 if output to a digital amp, its an ASUS laptop, there in the Higher Price Bracket right?

Im trying t oget around the sound max website to find out waht card she has , but its sooo slow
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice