Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Humming in speakers???  (Read 2391 times)

nightmagic11801

Humming in speakers???
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:31:01 PM »
So within the past month my speakers decided that they want to do this annoying humming. Sometimes they do it when the pc has been on all day, then it could be on for a few hours, or it could be on for 10 minutes. Thought maybe they were heating up so I would turn them off for a couple of hours and that don't help, but i couldn't understand why they would do it after the pc has been on for 10 min on certain days and heat up. The sound otherwise is normal, good sound for the most part (if i didn't have the humming). There's no cracking noises, Iv'e unplugged them replugged them felt the wires unplugged the woofer plugged it back in....and i get no where. I didn't want to have to replace my speakers if they aren't the problem,but i don't know what else it could be. Is maybe just the woofer part bad? Or can the conection into the pc get bad?Has anyone ever had this problem occur?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Humming in speakers???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »
Probably interference and or faulty wiring.
Any new electrical/electronic devices nearby since this started happening ? ?
Did you update to any wireless devices lately ? ?

The possibilities are endless including but not limited to someone microwaving popcorn...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:11:53 AM »
Install the latest sound card drivers.

More information needed.

nightmagic11801

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »
Probably interference and or faulty wiring.
Any new electrical/electronic devices nearby since this started happening ? ?
Did you update to any wireless devices lately ? ?

The possibilities are endless including but not limited to someone microwaving popcorn...

patio.  8-)
No new stuff, no updates, we rarely ever use microwave  :)(it's never bothered it before and the pc is in a completely different room) ummmm.....i can't think of anything at all thats different. What i find weird is that once they start they don't stop untill the pc has been off all night. It gets a little bit louder too when a page is brought up, wether it be a web page or a game or even windows defender. It also has like a real slow faint pulse to it. It's weird and aggrivating.It's also an everyday thing too, but i never know when it will start. It started today around noon. Where do i go for sound card stuff? Store, online
?  Could that be an issue, that my sound card is bad?  Do those even go bad? I should have stayed in vo-tech.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:06:07 PM »
Any component including your speakers/and or your sound card can go bad...

I suggest trying each one at a time in a known working machine to diagnose further...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

nightmagic11801

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »
Well so far the speakers themselves are fine and wires are not the problem. I do believe that the subwoofer is bad. It is next in line to get checked.....after cars get taken care of. Thanks for help! I'll let you know if it is the sub or not. :)

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 10:21:21 AM »
What speakerset do you have?

nightmagic11801

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
What speakerset do you have?
They are Altec Lansing