Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: set as background left me with a mess  (Read 3791 times)

andrea_b

set as background left me with a mess
« on: April 01, 2004, 08:51:53 AM »
Hi everyone..

I'm using windows 98. I accidently set a picture as background the other day when I was trying to save it to my hard drive. Now it shows on startup and shutdown instead of the windows 98 startup and shut down screen.  :o

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks so much.
~Andrea

Pete

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: set as background left me with a mess
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 11:41:12 AM »
    Personally I would find the file named "Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp" (without the quotes) in the C:\Windows directory and delete it.  This should leave you with a blank start up/shut down screen.  If You want you can then find a picture that you are happy with and set it as Explorer wallpaper. this picture will probably be your new start up/shut down screen.

[size=16]"If you are unsure about deleting items in system folders do not mess with them."[/size]

There is a way of separately editing your start up/shut down screen but I'm afraid I can't remember it.  If it comes to me I'll try to post it.

I hope this helps
    Regards
    Pete

bri

Re: set as background left me with a mess
    « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 01:43:16 PM »
    If right-click on the desktop with your mouse bottom of the splash screen click properties anotherslash screen will appear and just chose the pic you want ok..bri.8