Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: JavaScript: Get info from other web pages  (Read 9401 times)

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Re: JavaScript: Get info from other web pages
    « Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
    Can anyone register on Norek?  You say Norek is a wholesaler but, as far as I can tell, anyone can register on their site.  Could they then place an order?  

If Norek is a wholesaler, I presume they cater primarily to online retailers, such as you.  I would also think they have some information on their site to assist clients in selling online.  Is this not true?  

It seems to me Norek should not even be shown on your site.  You should have your own shopping cart, with product info you've setup.  Norek is in the background.  Your customers need not even know about Norek.  

Apparently, you want to avoid that approach.  You're trying to do this with as little effort as possible, right?
    Yes, I'm trying to do this with as little effort as possible ;).

As for anyone signing up for Norek.....no. You must produce official documents proving you are a business.

In time I will consider setting up a shopping cart, there seems to be plenty of software out there to help me. However, at the moment I want to start small. If I was to start selling online and couldn't cope with the demand I'd ruin my reputation as a seller.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »
      talk to your web host and see what they offer software and script wise maybe they no of a script that you need.

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
        talk to your web host and see what they offer software and script wise maybe they no of a script that you need.
        I'll try that if I don't have any luck with the forums.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »
        You cannot possibly hope to do this with javascript.  And I think it's a much bigger job than you realise.

You would need a script on the server side, where the end user could not see what was going on, to grab the information from the wholesaler.  Who knows - if you're really lucky, they may have an API you can use.  Otherwise you're stuck with rather hard parsing problems.  Javascript is not up to that job.

I always vote for PHP.  It's not actually all that hard a move, if you're reasonably competent with javascript, and there are many amazing things you can do with PHP, including database access (which again might be something you'll be needing).

To put this all into context, my gut feeling is that you're looking at a couple of weeks of flat-out development for a job like this.  I guess you'd be paying a professional anything up to $2,000 for the job.  So you aren't going to get a complete solution, asking a few questions here I'm afraid.  But we could give you some pointers.

Your first pointer, if you really want to do this, is to learn PHP.  There are a lot of PHP tutorials out there.

JMO.
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
          « Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »
          i dont know if this will work but maybe you can setup a shopping cart, so when someone orders something online and they finish putting their order information input the cart and press order that info will be sent to you and then you can order the items from your wholeseller and then add your extra price to the payment..(youll need to show the price with all of your stuff added in on your website before you do this) that way they dont know the what the wholesell price is only what your price is.

ie

the wholesell price is $10 but on your website it show $13 and when they add that to the price it goes into the shopping cart and then to your email and then you order it for them and shipp it to them..

just  thought, dont know if that is even possible, but im just throwing ideas out there to try to help you
          « Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 02:00:15 PM by unlovedwarrior »