Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL files  (Read 2463 times)

lloydmarie

AOL files
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:35:24 PM »
I am running Windows XP and use AOL 8.0.  I have used 75% of my C Drive and am looking for things to delete to free up some space.  Also, when I defrag, it seems I have about 2500 fragments from an AOL/Oraganize folder.  When I use Windows Explorer, I see there is a Cache folder in the Organize folder with about 250 files.  They all have the same name as my AOL user name along with some numbers.  I don't know what these files are for and would like to delete them.  Is this a good idea?

GX1_Man

Re: AOL files
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 04:03:00 AM »
Before you start deleting AOL files you may want to check with AOL. I would recommend just deleting these.

You might want to download and run CCleaner (free at www.ccleaner.com) to get some junk out, but specific program files are another story.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »
Before you start deleting AOL files you may want to check with AOL. I would recommend just deleting these.
GX1_Man, did you intend to say, "I would [highlight]not [/highlight]recommend just deleting these."?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:09:02 PM »
Google, download & install CrapCleaner.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 04:21:02 PM »
Yes, I meanat to type NOT, but I was having a wangming moment.  ::)

tcar

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
The AOL cache files that he is talking about, does anyone know how to deceipher and read these files?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

tcar

lloydmarie

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I did find an AOL fix at AOL one-click fixes that removed the content of the Cache.  I still am trying to figure out if it is ok to delete another file in the Organize folder.  The name of the file is my screen name and it is 167MB.  Seems rather large.  In properties under type of file it just says "file."  I don't know what that means but it would be nice to delete such a large file if it isn't needed.  I think there are 2393 fragments in that file, too, after I run defrag.  

I did download and run Crap Cleaner and deleted 347MB of junk.  Imazing how much dust accumulates after a few years.  ;)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:23:40 PM »
Your best bet would be to dump AOL and all it's garbage...but i'm sure you've heard that before.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "