Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wirelessly networking a printer  (Read 7887 times)

mikewithaprob

Wirelessly networking a printer
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:42:56 PM »
Well I have 2 computers directly plugged into the router, and 2 running wireless. They all run xp accept the ones plugged into the router are running professional. I was wondering if it is possible to have one of the computers running wireless able to print off the printer. The printer is plugged into my computer via usb, and my computer is plugged into the router it is a Dell Photo Printer 720. Also, I was wondering is it possible to do it the other way around haveing the computer plugged into the router print off a printer running wireless.

Sorry for making this confusing, and awckward to read.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wirelessly networking a printer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »
Indeed it is possible.  Ensure that all PCs are members of the same workgroup and that file and print sharing is enabled.  Share the printer, then on the other computer(s), add a new network printer.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mikewithaprob

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply, But im not to sure how to make sure they're in the same workgroup i'll do a little research and tell you how it goes  ;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:33:06 PM »
The procedure varies according to your operating system, but you omitted to give us that info.  ;)

Ah...  River City Ransom... *sigh*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:33:52 PM by robpomeroy »

mikewithaprob

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 04:52:17 AM »
Well I have 2 computers directly plugged into the router, and 2 running wireless. [highlight]They all run xp accept the ones plugged into the router are running professional.[/highlight] I was wondering if it is possible to have one of the computers running wireless able to print off the printer. The printer is plugged into my computer via usb, and my computer is plugged into the router it is a Dell Photo Printer 720. Also, I was wondering is it possible to do it the other way around haveing the computer plugged into the router print off a printer running wireless.

Sorry for making this confusing, and awckward to read.

;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:37:28 AM »
Oops!

But I'm not quite sure what you mean by that - some are on Home and some on Professional?

Anyway - right click on My Computer; choose properties.  Under the "name" tab you can set the workgroup.

mikewithaprob

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »
Thank you Rob I now have My computers downstairs being able to print upstairs ;D, and can share files which is usefull as well Accept I still have to fool around with it a bit. Anyways thank you for the help  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 05:22:58 AM »
Good job!

And any time you want to expand on "fool around a bit", let us know.  ;)

mikewithaprob

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 01:06:07 PM »
Thank You Rob, IM bored so I might as well explain the problem ;). All of the computers show up in the Workgroup, but one Cant access the workgroup or see the workgroup. Let me explain, The Computer is a Dell Running Windows XP Home Sp2 With Norton Anti Virus (I think this might be the problem dont know), While all the rest run AVG. On every computer but the Dell you can See all the computers in the workgroup including the Dell, So it shows up. But When I try to access the workgroup from the Dell it doesnt work. IT has file and printer shareing enabled, and it has a nice printer I'd like to add to be able to print off any computer. Also Don't know IF this will be any help but There is another Computer Running Wireless a Compaq P4 using Avg and it seemed to work So I dont know.

If Norton Turns out to be the problem is McAfee a good alternative, or just use avg?

Specs of Problem Computer Off of head:
Dell Inspiron _____
Windows Xp Home Edition sp2
Norton Anti Virus
512mb of Ram
Running Connected wirelessly, using a linksys router, and D-Link usb adapter. (Wireless G)

Thats all I can think Of If I missed anything let me know  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 01:08:52 PM by mikewithaprob »

mikewithaprob

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 02:03:47 PM »
Also Im reading about workgroups and I never had to enter a user name or password, just what the workgroup was called and I am able to acess files from 3/4 computers. But only the files in the shared folders.

Dont know if its any help

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:59:27 AM »
It's the firewall.  Make sure that traffic is allowed on ports 137 to 139 and 1512.  These are needed for browsing the LAN.