Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Whats a good compatible Graphics Card?  (Read 3106 times)

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Whats a good compatible Graphics Card?
    « on: November 08, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »
    Edit: I need to know a good graphics card that's compatible with an ASUS ABV-E Deluxe. I would like the graphics card to be suitable for a gamer.
    ----------------------

Hi there, I'll keep this quick and hopefully descriptive enough for someone to help.

My computer crashes whenever I run Ventrillo and video games at the same time, it has never done this in the past. I reset it and at first it would work, then crash again and then eventually I would turn it on and my monitor would say "No Signal", eventually it would work.

I've opened up my computer case and cleared out all the dust, I've done everything I can do without voiding any warranties and so I'm wondering if someone could give me an educated opinion or point me in the direction of software that can detect faulty hardware (if such software exists).
    « Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 04:25:11 AM by Timus »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Crashing, failure to start.
      « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:49:06 PM »
       Timus......  How about some info on your machine ........?
      What make and model is it ?
      Which operating system are you using and is it fully updated ?
      How much RAM is installed ?
      I've opened up my computer case and cleared out all the dust, I've done everything I can do without voiding any warranties
        What does that mean ?
      Does this only occur when you play some games or all games at the same time as having the Voip active ?

I would check your video card .

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:51:56 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:23:48 AM »
        Timus......  How about some info on your machine ........?
        What make and model is it ?
        Which operating system are you using and is it fully updated ?
        How much RAM is installed ?
        I've opened up my computer case and cleared out all the dust, I've done everything I can do without voiding any warranties
          What does that mean ?
        Does this only occur when you play some games or all games at the same time as having the Voip active ?

I would check your video card .

dl65  ::)

Hmm, well I think it's the video card (as you said). The fan on the video card still kicks in (if thats any consolation). I guess my next question would be: Whats a compatible and half decent graphics card for an ASUS ABV-E Deluxe?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 04:24:58 AM »
        What kind of slots does it have? (You never answered the other questions dl65 put to you, either.)
        « Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 04:25:33 AM by GX1_Man »

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:27:55 AM »
          What kind of slots does it have?

I can't really put them in descriptive terms... they're ones that cards are inserted into :S

I can tell you that my mobo is an ABV-E Deluxe, I know this because the name is stamped right on the mobo.

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:33:54 AM »
            (You never answered the other questions dl65 put to you, either.)

He asked a lot of questions...

About the warranty: If it's busted and I want my money back I can't exactly mess around with the graphics card. At least, I don't think I should in case it voids it.

About my memory: 512 megs of ram. All I can read on the stick itself is "VData Memory Experts"

Make, model? My graphics card is ATI, that's all I know... and I've already told you what my mobo is.

Operating system is windows XP with service pack 2 installed, fully updated as far as I know.

And it occurs with all games, I assume, the only games I tried were "World of WarCraft" and "WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne".

I hope I've been informative enough :S

GX1_Man

Re: Whats a good compatible Graphics Card?
            « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 06:04:02 AM »
            If it's under warranty, you should exercise that immediately.

If all you know is ATI, you shouldn't be a gamer as the specific game requirements inclucing video card are listed on the side of the box. None of them will say just "ATI video card".

Download and run Everest Home if you do not know what is in the machine.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

If it is ONLY during games - it is probably heat, power supply or RAM, probably in that order. Have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149804407
            « Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:04:42 AM by GX1_Man »

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 06:07:15 PM »

If all you know is ATI, you shouldn't be a gamer as the specific game requirements inclucing video card are listed on the side of the box. None of them will say just "ATI video card".

Download and run Everest Home if you do not know what is in the machine.

If it is ONLY during games - it is probably heat, power supply or RAM, probably in that order. Have a read here:

I bought my computer from a website where I chose the parts that were to go into the computer and it was assembled by proffesionals and sent over. I had help from a friend choosing the parts (obviously I'm not that hardware saavy) and so... no box...

I can't run tests if my monitor just says "No Signal" whenever I turn on my computer (not a monitor issue either, I've tried several monitors)

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »

[highlight]Download and run Everest Home [/highlight]if you do not know what is in the machine.

If it is ONLY during games - it is probably heat, power supply or RAM, probably in that order. [highlight]Have a read here:

[/highlight]

My mistake. You were talking about a warranty, but apparently now it has none. See the above again.
              « Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:40:16 PM by GX1_Man »

Timus

Topic Starter

Rookie
              • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:45:45 AM »

[highlight]Download and run Everest Home [/highlight]if you do not know what is in the machine.

If it is ONLY during games - it is probably heat, power supply or RAM, probably in that order. [highlight]Have a read here:

[/highlight]

My mistake. You were talking about a warranty, but apparently now it has none. See the above again.

I bought my computer from a website where I chose the parts that were to go into the computer and it was assembled by proffesionals and sent over. I had help from a friend choosing the parts (obviously I'm not that hardware saavy) and so... no box...

I can't run tests if my monitor just says "No Signal" whenever I turn on my computer (not a monitor issue either, I've tried several monitors)

How can I run that program if I can't see what I'm doing? (I'm using a different computer to type this, and presumably running that program on this computer won't help)

And yes, it is under warranty as far as I know, I just have to send the entire machine to melbourne which is something I'd rather not do.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 02:58:41 AM »
                My computer crashes whenever I run Ventrillo and video games at the same time, it has never done this in the past. I reset it and at first it would work, then crash again and then eventually I would turn it on and my monitor would say "No Signal", [highlight]eventually it would work[/highlight].

You did not say that it currently doesn't work at all.

All we can go by is what you choose to share with us. So what is the current status of the machine?
                « Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:59:13 AM by GX1_Man »