Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: buying a new PC  (Read 1886 times)

popka

buying a new PC
« on: November 08, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »
Hello, I wonder if anyone can advise me on a good value, decent PC stack for vocal and guitar recording using soundforge and cubase, probably through a mixer or decent external soundcard. I have been told I need at least 1 gig or RAM and a decent processor. Everything so far comes up in the region of about £400 but any deals or good bargains would be good to know about. Also advice on a good mixer and soundcard would be much appreciated... a mixer with mic. compressor. Can you get soundcards that do this? Cheers.

pcdoc4christ

Re: buying a new PC
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:32:34 AM »
You probably want a PC with a large hard drive, a DVD drive (which will also play CDs) and a DVD-RW drive (which will also burn CDs), 1024 MB (1 GB) of RAM, dual processors, and the Windows XP Media Center Edition operating system.  Do not wait to purchase a PC with Windows Vista, as that OS is likely to have problems with its initial release.  Windows XP systems will likely be sold at reduced prices when the non-beta version of Windows Vista is released by MS.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:33:44 AM by pcdoc4christ »

popka

Re: buying a new PC
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:07:20 AM »
thanks for the advice. When you say I need a dual processor I assume you mean dual core. What are examples of dual core processors? Will it state it in the description or do I need to know a pentium from a celeron, etc, with regard to this? Cheers.