Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Network Connections  (Read 5706 times)

X2495

Wireless Network Connections
« on: November 08, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
Is there any way to change what wireless connection you are for example I am Wireless network Connection 7. Now being wireless conetion 7 will connections 1,2,3,4,5,6 have priority over me? Also their is only 3 computers in the network. I have a Linksys wireless-G router and am using a Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter; I have the driver installed. Another thing is that my signal strength goes from poor to excellent back and forth repeatedly between a speed of 2 mbps to 11 mbps. So sometimes it goes from blazing fast to a sluggish pace then back again to fast then to slow again  >:(!!!! Any help would be great.

X2495

Re: Wireless Network Connections
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:42:01 PM »
I forgot to say I have Windos XP SP2 and my computer

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3800
Mobo- Epox nForce3
Video- Nvida 6800
Ram- 768 MB (PC2700)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:28:13 AM »
You may have a lot of traffic on the default channel. Go to the D-Link site and review the manual for how to change this on the router. Then change your channel on the wireless NICs. Report back if this helps.

Another issue could be distance from the router and what is ohysically between the router and the wireless cards.

computer engineer

Rookie
  • South Oil Company
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »
change to 11 will be better :)
Head of Technical Section

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:19:33 AM »
I wonder what the OP means by "Wireless network Connection 7"?  Multiple connections appearing in Network Connections?  Could be a reference to channels, but I wouldn't have thought so...?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos