Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: modem problems  (Read 2984 times)

Tom James

modem problems
« on: September 24, 2004, 01:07:07 PM »
I recently purchased a three-year old Dell laptop computer. I used the computer for work (I am a sports writer). Ever since I got the computer, I have been having some problems with my modem. Whenver I go and work from a specific venue, I try to log into AOL. About half of the time, I get an error message saying that the modem does not detect a dial tone. Now the laptop works fine pretty much every other place that I have used it. I have taken it on the road with me and have had no problems. But when I go to this one venue here in town (Indianapolis), it works about half of the time. This week, it worked Monday and Thursday. I had problems with it Wednesday and today (Friday). If something was wrong with the modem, wouldn't I have a problem with it all the time? And why do I continually have a problem from this one place. I have used three different phone lines at this venue and its the same thing -- I get the error message stating that the modem does not detect a dial tone. What should I be doing to fix this problem?

Computer_Commando

Re: modem problems
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 06:14:02 PM »
...And why do I continually have a problem from this one place. I have used three different phone lines at this venue and its the same thing -- I get the error message stating that the modem does not detect a dial tone. What should I be doing to fix this problem?

I assume this is a business with many telephones.  I also am assuming it is an analog, not a digital system.  If this is the case, it is possible that the telephone switch is programmed to not allow modem connections on certain ports.  Contact the IT department or whoever manages the telephones.