Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP comp. get to desktop, but no taskbar/icons  (Read 2004 times)

eaglestrike7339

XP comp. get to desktop, but no taskbar/icons
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:01:28 PM »
THe computer allows you to log in, but when it gets to the desktop, its does not show a taskbar or icons.
I have checked, and there is no task bar anywhere minimized or on other parts of the screen. Once you are on the desktop, you cannot make selection boxes on the desktop.

Once control+alt+delete is hit, the task manager pops up. From there it will let you run any programs you need. I was able to get into the command prompt, but when i tried to open up the control panel, via cmd>control, the task bar flashes onto the screen for maybe a half second, then disappears again.

I need help with this very badly. THe computer recently got it's warranty expired, so any servicing would not be covered by the company. If anyone knows what this is, and/or fix it, post back or email me @ [email protected]

TYVM

PS. I have looked into a few of the solutions from a person with a similar problem (down the page, i believe the name might have been leet?)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 01:20:54 PM by eaglestrike7339 »

GX1_Man

Re: XP comp. get to desktop, but no taskbar/icons
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:47:33 PM »
The recovery disk will erase your entire hard drive and restore your computer to the condition it was originally in when you purchased it. Not a good idea if you have data you want to save. If so, do that first if you want to use that CD.

Did you have a read here?

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1133772430

What happened prior to this? What spyware/virus protection are you using? Are you the only user of this computer?

Also it is a BAD idea to post your e-mail on any public forum unless you need more spam in you inbox.

More info about your computer could be helpful. See below.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 12:48:42 PM by GX1_Man »

eaglestrike7339

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
ty GX1_man, ill try it.

i read the listed post, but none of the things have worked for me yet. THe one i have yet to try is the antivirus patch, which i will attempt.

I wouldnt post an email i cared about on the forums anywhere, public or private. I have a few designated as spam accs, but thanks for caring.

also, in case you lose the recovery disk, is there a way to get another? again my machine is out of warranty, so...

Prior to this, the computer had come installed with norton antivirus, but the included subscription lasted a few months, so it was maybe 6 mo. out of protection  :-/

As for antispyware and adware, I used the home edition of Adaware, with the last scan possibly a week before the problem.

Information about the computer:
EMachines Etower 2893
80gb harddrive
1gb RAM (upgraded from 512, slight problems after upgrading but problems ended before this)
CPU Intel Celeron 330

I am the only user on the computer.
also, if anyone else knows the commands to create an alternate user from the command prompt, please post them here

again, ty fro any help
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 01:33:49 PM by eaglestrike7339 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »
eMachine MAY send you a replacement CD for a small charge. Contact them and see.

No up to date antivirus for 6 months is not good. Go to the Symantec web site to get removal instructions for Norton and use one of the free ones, like AVG Free.

AdAware is good but no one product is good enough. Spybot is used by a lot of folks here and is free also.  Have a read:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

Let us know how you progress.