Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Anyone Still Running S.E.T.I @ Home ???

YES
0 (0%)
NO
1 (25%)
Never Tried S.E.T.I @ Home
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Wondering if anyone still run S.E.T.I @ Home  (Read 2263 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Wondering if anyone still run S.E.T.I @ Home
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:05:28 PM »
Hey... I used to run S.E.T.I@Home . But after having a stack of computers running 24/7/365 and only completing about 1000 work units. I gave up on it.

All the mainframes running SETI out there can crunch the units out so much faster.

I had a pile of 8 decommissioned systems mostly Pentium 166 and 200Mhz MMX HP Vectra Systems with 128 to 144MB of Ram running Windows 2000 Pro SP4, crunching numbers .... I think they worked better at heating my home than crunching numbers. ;D

What stinks is that SETI does not or did not support multiple processor crunching, so when I took an old Compaq Proliant Server with a Dual P-II 333Mhz Processors and 512MB Ram and saw that it only would run on one CPU and the other would idle, I pulled the plug on my donation to science and saved myself about $40 a month... :o

Been tempted to install it again on my newer system a P4 HT 3.0Ghz with 2GB Ram and XP Pro to see how fast it could crunch a unit. The Pentium 1 systems would crunch about 1 per 30 hrs for the systems with 256k Cache and the single Pentium Pro 200 with 512k Pipeline burst cache screamed out a unit every 18 hrs.
 ;D
I still believe we are not alone .... But think that our technology is so far un-advanced compared to theirs. We are still in the days of a telegraph compared to their technology. Someday we might get a hint of whats out there as solid proof. I wouldn't blame them for ignoring us for our destructive unintelligent primitive nature. *** We know something is bad for our future, yet we turn the other way and keep doing it, because it is the easiest method*** :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Wondering if anyone still run S.E.T.I @ Home
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:42:38 PM »
No, no interest at all.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 12:37:59 AM »
I believe i read that the SETI project has been withdrawn into the private sector...can't find the article but it was around 6 mos. ago.

Folding protiens project is still ongoing though if you are interested.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 03:22:13 AM »
Never tried SETI@Home, although the desktop runs Folding@Home