Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cdrom Not Showing in Bios  (Read 3469 times)

fly

Cdrom Not Showing in Bios
« on: September 26, 2004, 04:11:42 PM »
Ok i have a cdrom, that is not showing in the bios or in windows. The cdrom is ok, because i have tested it in another PC. But i have DVD rewriter that i have tested on the same IDE lead and this does show in windows but not in the bios. I also see this DVD rewriter on the boot up screen. I have set to Auto detect in the bios but still it doesnt show up. I have XP pro for my windows i updated from windows ME. I would appreciate any help.

merlin_2

Re: Cdrom Not Showing in Bios
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 04:45:48 PM »
what motherboard? is used for winxp?is your ide cables sound?and what jumper setting is being used on your drives?

fly

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 04:59:05 PM »
Computer is an Advent. Motherboard is a MSI MS-6340, I have tested the cdrom on secondary master and secondary slave. Jumper settings i have tried master and slave setting.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 05:24:04 PM »
you may have to flash your bios for winxp to reconize your cdrom....but you say you have winxp...is the cdrom/dvd rom not listed in the my computer? ..how did you install winxp...image..or did you add the drives after winxp install..

fly

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 05:44:19 PM »
I installed xp with the cdrom in and it was working. but i have just purchased a DVD rewriter, So i took the cdrom of the secondary master and put the dvd Writer on that and i put the Cdrom on the secondary slave. none are recognised in the bios but in mycompter the DVD rewiter is showing up but not the cdrom. I have tried switching the drives  back round making the cdrom the secondary Master and changing the jumpers but still they dont show in the bios and only the dvd rewriter is showing in my computer. Oh yes and forgot to mention, When the cdrom was working it never started programes up automatically, i always had to explore the drive to click on the setup.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 05:47:47 PM by fly »

fly

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 10:25:37 AM »
So any other Suggestions or shall i flash the bios.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 01:05:03 PM »
if you have tried all the options..ide cables etc...i would go either to the website of the dvd drive makers<for a upgrading bios driver..or the motherboard makers....for a bios upgrade what dvd drive is this........type ms32info in the run box....for info on your system...info on flash bios>http://freepctech.com/pc/001/006.shtml
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 01:07:12 PM by merlin_2 »

fly

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 12:34:12 PM »
the drve is a Toshiba. Ill try one more IDE cable, before i flash the bios. Thanks for the help here.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 01:01:12 PM »
ide cables do go bad...heat /dust/old age ;D ...and if its an old system some never had a key to aline the cable  red line of ide cables/ to red cable of the power cable...will doing this check the pins on the drive also...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 01:04:28 PM by merlin_2 »