Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using  a powerbook 190 as a phone...  (Read 6143 times)

Dead_reckon

using  a powerbook 190 as a phone...
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:42:40 PM »
i recently obtained a 10 or 11 year old macintosh powerbook 190. it is running mac OS with a six gigabyte hard drive, and i think it has twelve megabytes of ram. i want to know if there is anyway i could use the motorolla montana 33.6 fax modem with it and set it up as a phone. i need a program that is designed for mac OS. the mac has only a floppy disk drive, so, it may be a bit tough to install somthing untill i get some floppies.

thanks in advance. im sure someone will come along eventually and tell me, or, at least point me in the right direction.

if you would like to see pictures of the vintage laptop, i will show you them. the only reason why i got it is because the screen's brackets are busted from the screen, i will rig the screen so it sits upright and doesnt need a prop.  

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: using  a powerbook 190 as a phone...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:08:12 AM »
Well, I dont belive you can use it as a phone if its a data modem...

You can make it dial numbers, but I dont know of any tools off hand. We need some good Apple experts on this site someday...

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
yes, it is possible to use a data modem as a phone, i did it once on windows 95 a long time ago, i forgot how though. i do not know if it is possible to do it on Mac OS though.

JohnK

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:12:21 PM »
What version of Mac OS? And I'm pretty sure there are some phone apps for 68K macs.

-John