Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Booting  (Read 1959 times)

mikewithaprob

Dual Booting
« on: December 02, 2006, 08:29:58 AM »
Well I'd like to try Windows 2000, and I've been reading a couple articles on the topic and most of them say if you want to dual boot with Xp, and an older operating system, install the older one first then install XP.  What I Understand is you install the operating system onto a different partion of the harddrive, and then everytime you turn on your machine you're given the option to boot what ever operating system. So What I understand is you have to do the following:
1.Create Second Partion (Formatted as Fat 32?)
2.Install 2nd operating system
3. Enjoy?

My harddrive is currently formatted as fat32 if that is of any use. Basically, can anyone point out if this will work or not, and kindly point out the errors in my plan.

Thanks In Advance

Mike

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Dual Booting
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »
All references I have seen on setting up a dual boot configuration say the older OS must be installed first.  So, since you already have Win XP installed, you would have to format and partition your hard drive, install Win 2K, and then install Win XP.  With these two OS, I believe you could use either FAT32 or NTFS.  This Microsoft reference, Install more than one operating system (multiboot), advises formating the drive as NTFS.  However, both Win 2K and Win XP recognize both FAT32 and NTFS drive formats, so it's a user decision.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 11:10:47 AM by soybean »