Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ami bios  (Read 2291 times)

vayard

ami bios
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:45:15 PM »
my ami bios version 1.19 would not load xp only 98.at first it would give a message "ntldr is missing" i set-up the bios and restart and message " could'nt open multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS"

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ami bios
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:58:47 PM »
A whole lot more info on that machine your drive setups and what happened prior to this and someone will be along shortly...

Just a stab in the dark but i'm guessing this is not a BIOS issue.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

vayard

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:44:35 AM »
thanks for the reply.... that computer was running on 98se and i upgrade it to xp. when i first install the xp it give me a message "ntldr is missing" so i setup the bios previous setup is cylinder 16 thousand something and the rest also have values so i change and those value ive change all to zeroes andr i restart the computer and give the message "cannot open multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS". in the event i put extra RAM OF 128MB/133 coz the previous ram is only 32mb/100 though they have differrent speed both ram is detected and sum up for 160mb.

Hoop2077

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 01:09:17 AM »
Windows XP requires at least 64 mb of RAM.  Even though you have 2 different sticks of RAM in it, and even though the first screens will read both RAM, it still may not be compatible.  They usually require the same CAS latency as well.

Pull out the 32mb stick just leaving the 128mb and see what happens.

Then go into your bios, and reset all of the defaults.

Hoop2077
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:10:41 AM by Hoop2077 »

vayard

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 08:42:26 PM »
at first my os is 98se i'd install xp in the ssme partion drive c so that i could have a dual boot with obvoiusly fat32 file system. after the necesary after files had been coppy to harddisk then the computer reboot them i get message ntldr is missing. so i format the drive c using fat 32 but still the same problem i tried even ntfs.so i got to bios in the drive configuration this are configuration i chage...

cyln    head    wpcom   sec
    16,000      4           6         100

in here i've change this data all to zero, i cannot recall anymore what is the exact values in the cylinder etc but im sure that the original values is not zero.

after this i restart the computer and give me a message..

"coudn't open multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR:coudn't open multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

this the exact message

i would really appreciate it, if you could help solve this problem

thank you...

centerstage

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 08:31:26 AM »
Why exactly did you change your hard drive settings?  Your initial problem was just a missing ntldr file. Nothing in the BIOS needed to be changed.

First off, reset your BIOS settings back to defaults.

You said you are able to boot to 98, but not XP. Try booting into 98 after resetting your BIOS settings to default. Then, put in your XP cd and go into command line. Find your NTLDR file on the cd, then simply copy it to the partition where XP is. If you're not familiar with DOS commands, let us know and we'll walk you through it in detail.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:43:40 PM »
No HDD out there will operate normally if you change those settings to all zeroes...those numbers mean something.
Reset your BIOS to default settings without the HDD hooked up and boot it and shut down 2 or 3 times.
Now hook up the HDD and enter the BIOS and make sure the HDD detection is set to "Auto".
Press F10 to save and exit and see what happens.

No matter how much you dislike those #'s like cylinders tracks and heads you should never change them period.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "