Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hooking DVD/VCR recorder to computer  (Read 10023 times)

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Hooking DVD/VCR recorder to computer
    « on: December 10, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »
    Hello.

I'm thinking about getting a DVD/VCR recorder, but would like to hook it up to my computer.

Is this possible? (I do have a tv tuner and will be installing another one.)

If so, what is needed?

Thanks - Kimberli

Compaq Presario
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 GHz 504 MB of RAM
    Windows XP Home Edition Service PK 2

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re:  Hooking DVD/VCR recorder to computer
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:24:41 PM »
    504 MB of RAM
    Are you sure it's not 512 MB RAM, sorry I have no answer for this.
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:25:06 PM by fffreak »
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:33:40 AM »
       elbib908 ........ If you are considering a DVD/VHS unit , any of the ones I have seen usually have one touch conversion of vhs to dvd capabilities and of course there should also be S vid imputs which allows for connection to your pc .

All you need is the unit itself and the necessary cables .
      Some may be included , but I dont think the S vid will be ....... but check to see whats included ....... for sure the product manual will show you whats required .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:17:36 AM »
      504 MB of RAM
      Are you sure it's not 512 MB RAM, sorry I have no answer for this.
      This indicates that computer uses onboard video and that 8MB of system RAM is set as "shared" video memory.  In many systems with onboard video, Windows reports system RAM as the total physical RAM installed less the amount set in the BIOS as "shared" video memory.  Thus, 512MB minus 8MB = 504MB.

If I'm correct, I think you should access your BIOS and see whether you can increase the amount of "shared" video memory.  8MB may not perform well for the DVD use you're talking about here.  I think you need to find out more about this before proceeding with your idea.  In other words, do you have onboard video or an add-on video card?  If onboard and it's currently set at 8MB, can you increase that?  If so, how high can it go?
      « Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 07:18:21 AM by soybean »

elbib908

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »
        It is 512, however, when I right clicked on MY COMPUTER/Properties, it said 504. I didn't know if that was important or not.

Thank for all the information. I will do more checking about the "shared" video memory before I buy or do anything.

Thanks everyone.

Sincerely - Kimberli