Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RealTek - Windows Sound Recorder problem  (Read 2287 times)

Caleb_Hobbs

RealTek - Windows Sound Recorder problem
« on: December 14, 2006, 09:58:52 PM »
Hi:

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I had a lot of trouble updating from IE6 to IE7, and in the weeks-long process of trying to figure out what was wrong (I finally took it to a shop), somehow or another, RealTek Audio was installed. I didn't want RealTek, it just popped up, and when I tried to escape, it installed itself. It wouldn't let me uninstall it, but I think I've disabled it.

Meanwhile, ever since RealTek installed, I haven't been able to use Windows Sound Recorder. When I hit the record button, a window pops up that tells me another application is running, and that I should turn that off, then try again. I have no idea what application is currently running (apparently nothing, since I disabled RealTek I don't have any audio). I've tried changing my default settings back to Microsoft, but they won't stay that way (it returns to Custom settings). I've tried the suggestions offered on this site regarding Sound Recorder solutions, but I can't even find it to reinstall it.

I don't know anything about RealTek. My e-mails to them seeking advice were returned as undeliverable. I feel like my system has been hijacked by RealTek. Is that a correct assumption? Anybody have any suggestions on how I can get back to where I was before RealTek installed? I have a Sony Vaio with plenty of ram, DSL hookup, and XP Home. I'm not very computer literate, but I'd appreciate any help anyone could give.

Thanks, Caleb

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: RealTek - Windows Sound Recorder problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:35:45 PM »
    Caleb Hobbs........
    Realtek ........  [highlight]I pulled this off their website[/highlight]........ http://www.realtek.com.tw/  
    Realtek Semiconductor Corp., located in the Hsinchu Science-based Industrial Park — Taiwan's "Silicon Valley" — began with a small group of young, devoted engineers in 1987. In nearly two decades, these young founding engineers built Realtek into one of the world's largest and most successful IC design houses.
    Realtek has been around for almost 20 years . I dont know where in the world your located , but there is phone and fax  numbers ,  Email address's.

Click start/control panel/system/hardware/Device Manager ...then scroll down to Sound Audio and games
    You should see it there and get rid of it if you don't want it .
    BTW , who installed it ?  It didn't do it all by itself .......... at least I would very much doubt it .
    When in the device manager , clicking on the + in front of Sound audio and game ....... it will expand ...then take a screen shot and post it here for us to check.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:42:27 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.