Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unexpected power-down's.... Forceware drivers?  (Read 1922 times)

Rapid_Dissent

Unexpected power-down's.... Forceware drivers?
« on: December 21, 2006, 04:09:39 AM »
Pretty much as stated in the subject... haphazard power-down's that only ever seem to occur after installing nVidia's Forceware drivers (I've been reinstalling the OS a lot recently). Though I'm not positive it's those drivers, I'm 99% sure of it.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any good advise?

Thanks in advance!

K7T Turbo SE
800 mHz Athlon (OC'd to 1gHz)
1.12gB PC 133 RAM
nVidia GeForce 5200 FX
Windows XP (no service packs)

Let me know if more info is needed.

GX1_Man

Re: Unexpected power-down's.... Forceware drivers?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 04:24:13 AM »
First off why no SP2 on that machine? Is this a fresh install of XP? Is it a legal installation?

What about the make and wattage of the power supply? Other issues? What started all of this? How old is the machine?

The fact that you are overclocking makes ANY problems suspect. Why don't you set everything to factory specs and see if the problem continues? Assuming nothing is damaged by the overclocking (and I don't) this may be helpful.

Rapid_Dissent

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
The one time I installed service packs, it screwed with my teamspeak, not accepting input from the microphones, so I just said screw it, reinstalled, and never looked back.

Powerman 400 watt. I recently had an issue on startup with it. I know it's on the way out, and I'm sure it's not helping the problem at hand, but it's not the cause.

This all got started when my favorite game got corrupted (patch related issues; didn't happen to only me by a longshot) and I needed to reinstall. It'd been 8 months since my previous reformat, and I figured 'what the *censored*'. So I backed up all my irreplacables and reformated and reinstalled.

Well, I always used to use Driver Guide to find a driver for my video adapter, but they recently updated it to the point where it's not worth &*^#(@ unless you're shelling out some scratch.

I'd graduated from Driver Guide anyways. I was finally getting very comfortable with IBM-compatible computers and Windows (Mac fanboy... not 'ex', but not so damned closed-minded anymore), so I figured I'd just google the drivers.

First hit was nVidia.com. Go there, download the new Forceware (which I'm pretty sure wasn't what I was installing with driver guide), install it, and cool. Restart the machine to complete, and we're off.

It's only after this stage on the subsequent 6 OS reinstalls that the computer unexpectedly powers-down. It generally happens once an hour or so, depending on what I'm doing (giving credence to the power supply idea).

However, I'm running on another fresh install, haven't installed any forceware yet, and I can stress the machine all I want as long as I want with no power-down's.

I believe the machine is about 5-6 years old... other than an annoying bearing on the CPU fan, it's still running strong.

I understand not trusting an OC'd machine completely. It was like this when I received it; I would have preferred otherwise, as over clocking never sat well with me. I would say it's ONLY the CPU, but 25% is a pretty severe bump.

Rapid_Dissent

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »
Ah, duh... one more thing. Before the reply (thanks, btw!  :D), I reinstalled again, and used an older version of the Forceware software (91.47) I found on some obscure site.

So far, so good. I'll holler back if it starts acting up again.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:18:11 PM by Rapid_Dissent »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
I'd sure keep a close eye on the power supply.  ;)