Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Texture flickering, card overheating?  (Read 5069 times)

elcaro

Re: Texture flickering, card overheating?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
Thanks stones.

But what I don't understand is why my card is overheating now. I only had the HDD changed. Before I had no trouble with the card. I played 50 hours of Oblivion and everything was fine.  :'(

stones

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 10:27:31 PM »
Thanks stones.

But what I don't understand is why my card is overheating now. I only had the HDD changed. Before I had no trouble with the card. I played 50 hours of Oblivion and everything was fine.  :'(

Thats the wonderful world of electronics for ya :-/,
I figure that maybe the fan is getting weak and not spinning up like it should, those factory installed cooling fans have a pretty short lifespan (as little as 6months) the fan can die slowly without you noticing utill things get critical.
 my vid card died last week from temp problem even though I kept the core at a frosty 44c (case fan secured to passive heatsink) the ram still went to crap (most likely the voltage increase given in bios, core and mem clock was default).

One thing to note about video cards- They hate all and any advice you recieve from the people at futuremark forums as it usually causes them an untimely death, keep everything as the manufacturer recommends and give it as much cooling as you can. A good score on a benchmarking program means nothing if your video card cant play video games because it is damaged (my little rant).

elcaro

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 02:58:29 AM »
Any recommendations for a good graphics card that is not over the top expensive? Something below 300. Something that is comparable or better than my old Radeon 9800 XT.

Also my motherboard doesn't have a PCI-Express slot, so that'll rule some cards out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 03:11:14 AM by elcaro »

stones

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »
At TigerDirect they have a huge selection of high performance AGP cards for under 300 dollars you should really have a look.
I recommend.
Nvidia 6800, 7600, 7800 series
ATI X1600, X800, X850

Heres some very powerful cards for under 300
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:318|lp:200:hp:499.99|&Sort=4

Note- a 400watt (or larger) power supply with at least 20+ amps  on the 12v line is strongly recommended to run these little power houses.

Heres a bunch more to look at- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=933&Nav=|c:318|&Sort=3&Recs=30
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 11:54:41 AM by stones »