Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: upgrade memory  (Read 4777 times)

bake

Re: upgrade memory
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 09:44:44 PM »
I will try this one more time.  I have 2 slots A & B  I have memory chips A & B.
If I put A memory into A slot, works.  If I put A memory into B slot, works.  If I put B memory into A slot, works.  If I put B memory into B slot, works. I cannot put A & B memory into A & B slot at the same time.  If one memory slot is full and it doesn't matter which slot or which memory chip, the computer will boot.  If I fill both memory slots the computer will not boot.  I have tried the original memory of 128 and 256 together and will not boot.  It will boot if one slot is taken and the other slot is left empty.  I'm no computer guy and I'm trying to explain this the best I can

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 09:51:17 PM »
Now you are clear on the issue.

Usually PC133 RAM is backward compatible and usable with PC100 motherboards. However new manufacturing of memory produces high density RAM which may NOT be compatible with older motherboards. The fact that one works and both do not incicates a compatibility issue, despite them being the same make and model of RAM. Some of those old HP's (and Compaqs) were VERY particular about the RAM used.

What if you install one new one and the old 128?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 09:55:07 PM by GX1_Man »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 10:25:45 PM »
Below is the memory you need .Are you still out there in web land?

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.asp?mtbpoid=FFA0E6ABA5CA7304
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 10:35:21 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 10:38:33 PM »
Crucial is guaranteed to work and has a lifetime warranty. Maybe not as cheap as what you got, but no surprises.

Please note all of the specifications in that link!

bake

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 10:48:27 PM »
We I put the old memory in with one of the new chips it won't work either.  The original was 128 and I don't have 2/128 chips to try but it still won't work if I fill both slots.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 12:28:20 AM »
Well,at present you can run 256MB single ram module twice what
you did have.  Try to get the correct memory for your computer
next time.

I have bought cheap memory before off brand ,or good deal but,
the savings requires a lot of research on your part prior to buying.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 12:29:18 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.