Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop holds wifi connection only 5 mins...  (Read 3965 times)

short

laptop holds wifi connection only 5 mins...
« on: December 30, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »
Hello there!

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, running Windows xp home edition. Not too long ago, I re-installed windows on it and re-downloaded all the drivers. I am trying to get onto a wireless network at a hotel. It has an internal wifi card I believe, but I have also gotten a pc card from the hotel and downloaded the software for it. (I have used this wifi before, so I know I should work.)

I can get onto the internet just fine for awhile, but after about 5 minutes, I lose signal. The network connections (2 little computers in right hand corner) will still say I am connected, but internet explorer says "Server not found." If I got to the properties of the wireless, it will tell me that many are recieved, but only a few, if any, sent. It does show an ip address.

I then have to re-start the computer. Once re-started, I can get on fine -for about 5 minutes- then same deal, it must be re-started.

I contacted the tech support, and they do not know what the problem is. They suggested I have a firewall, but I am positive I do not. (I un-installed the zone labs that was on there, just in case)

I have probably a little more than average computer knowledge (I have learned a lot by trial and error and plain experience) but am not good with all the terms, so please explain thoroughly.  ;D

I have tried the few tricks I know. I tried to repair/re-new the ip address, and that does not help. Also, I tried to update the drivers, and was told a better match cannot be found. I can't roll-back the drivers, probably because I just re-installed them with the fresh windows install. I doubt it is the drivers anyways, because I am using the hotels pc card. The device manager says the device is working properly. I also tried different areas of the hotel to try to get a stronger signal, still no go. Tech support told me there are others that are connected just fine.

Also, once I exit internet explorer to re-start it, I get an error message that reads,

ieexplore.exe application error:
the instruction at "0x00ec2bf2" referenced memory at "0x018d6680" memory could not be read.
click ok to terminate the program.

This message is new and gibberish to me, so does anyone know what this could mean?

Any ideas or suggestions as to how to get the laptop to hold a signal is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, thank you, for your help!  :-*  

ZealEmpire

Re: laptop holds wifi connection only 5 mins...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »
Hmmm probably not a very good solution but try to use firefox web browser.  I have found it connects to sites alot easier than IE.  I am in a similar situation.  I recently moved to an apartment in town and I was trying to get on my neighbors wireless conenction that he said I could use but my signal isnt that good either and I usually get disconnected.  Other than that check your windows firewall that piece of junk gave me trouble when I tried to use my ftp so I just turned it off and use a better fw.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 07:31:23 AM »
Your connection problems sound like a hardware fault.  If you are sure about the existence of an internal wireless card, try removing the additional card, get the drivers for the internal card and use that instead.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

crazy_protocol

Rookie
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:22:39 AM »
    Are you sure this problem is from your laptop. you can check the wireless connectivity of router. sometimes it happens from router side.
    If the problem is not from router, try to check it from other browser than internet explorer. also be confirm that your laptop is not infected with any virus or spyware.