Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help plz!!  (Read 4811 times)

thedodger

help plz!!
« on: December 29, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »
Hi all, im having a problem with my netowrking, and im not computer illterate at all.
a few days ago i got some new pcs for my house, nice ones to. And i have them both on the same internet using a router, i have Optimum online.
i live with some room mates, and we all play poker online. But recently one of the sites threathend to close one of our accounts becasue they said its against thier rules to have more than 1 account playing from 1 ip adress. which i understand due to cheating reasons. But is there any way, ANY WAY at all that i can get multiple ips in the same apartment? casue i really only have the net to play poker. THX in advance ;D

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: help plz!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
You need more than one line from your isp, i'm pretty sure. ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 09:12:17 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »
I don't think they would want the rules circumvented. That's why they gave you the warning.  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 02:07:05 PM »
Mark, this would not be a breach of the letter or spirit of their rules, I don't think.

Ask your ISP for a block of IP addresses, and route each IP address to an individual PC on your LAN.  You will have to pay your ISP for this privilege.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

thedodger

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 06:35:16 PM »
You need more than one line from your isp, i'm pretty sure. ;)

yea someones else ihad asked told me that before, thatsnks for the ffedback though :)

[quote Mark, this would not be a breach of the letter or spirit of their rules, I don't think.

Ask your ISP for a block of IP addresses, and route each IP address to an individual PC on your LAN.  You will have to pay your ISP for this privilege.[/quote]

hey cool man, thanks alot. jus would i have to route an ip address to my other pc manually, or is that somthing my isp has to do for me? thanks bunches in advance.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 12:33:06 PM »
The ISP gives you the IP addresses, which all point to your router.  It's then up to you to configure the static routes on your router from each incoming IP address to each PC on your LAN.

Prices for this kind of thing vary a lot from one ISP to another.  Some will just refuse.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos