Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to remove linux  (Read 7781 times)

Soviet_Genius

how to remove linux
« on: January 01, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »
i have vector SOHO on my computer. I never use it so I want the hard drive space for games since only have a 40 gig hard drive. I have a bootable CD with Gparted on it so I can delete the linux partition and resize the windows partition but I do not know how to get rid of the bootloader.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: how to remove linux
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:19:28 AM »
If it's GRUB, its configuration settings are contained with the Linux partition typically, so you may destroy it when you wipe the partition.  A repair installation of XP should bring XP's bootloader back.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:20:01 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

banjo67xxx

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:33:05 AM »
Actually GRUB is installed in the MBR for the disk. I think it gets some of its config from the linux partition too. Just removing the linux partition will not remove GRUB, but it might failsafe so its unnoticeable.

Does FDISK/MBR still exist in WinXP? If so, that should remove GRUB. Otherwise a repair install of WinXP will definitely remove it (as Rob suggested)

Another suggestion is to boot linux and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and make windows the only bootable option with a timeout of 1 second (maybe even 0), and rerun grub-install, before you remove linux. Then when your system reboots you won't notice GRUB (much).

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
I think it gets some of its config from the linux partition too.
Swatisaid.  ;D

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
the bootloader is LILO and i don't have a windows XP CD. is there a way to get rid of the bootloader without it? I can get a CD if it's the only way.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »
You can do what Banjo suggested, with Lilo instead - set it up so that it boots to Windows after, say, 1 second's delay.  Failing that, you would need a Windows CD to install Windows' bootloader.  Every OS needs one.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:13 AM »
I'd rather just use the windows CD because when I tried changing the default OS to load in LILO it put windows twice, one labeled windows and the other labeled hda1 and its all messed up so I'd rather just make it clean.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
I have XP home installed, can I use an XP professional CD to do the repair install? Does it matter which service pack the CD is?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 01:21:56 AM »
No, yes.

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 01:00:45 AM »
    This is easy done, I did it just then myself. Insert the Windows disk (home or professional doesn't matter). This way no repair installation is necessary. Let the disk load and open the recovery console ("R" key). Type "fixboot" and press "y" for yes. Then do "fixmbr" and "y" for yes. Reboot your computer and when windows loads, just format the linux partition or drive. All removed hassle free. Hope that helps.

banjo67xxx

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »
    Yes that's exactly it

FIXBOOT and FIXMBR are the new commands under Windows XP
    If they exist on normal XP (I'm booted under Solaris at the mo) then you can run them without even needing the XP install CD.

(I could only remember the command as FDISK /MBR on Windows 98)

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
      Actually, it can't be done through the command prompt (i.e. while logged on or in safe mode). It has to be done through the recovery console on the disc.

Doug Vitale

Beginner

• Was that so hard?
        • Doug Vitale Tech Blog
      « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 11:52:36 AM »
      This thread reminds me of a situation I was in with my dual-boot XP/Fedora laptop. I was having several problems with Fedora that I couldn't fix so I decided to reinstall. Instead of just reinstalling over the existing Linux partitions on my hard drive, I decided to boot into Windows and use Partition Magic to delete the partitions altogether (don't ask me why). After rebooting I expected Windows XP to automatically kick in, but instead I got a message saying something to the effect of. "No OS found". Luckily I had my trusty Symantec Recovery CD so I booted to it and fixed the MBR. Afterwards Windows XP thankfully came up.

Since we're on this topic, can anyone tell me how to set up a multiboot system with more than 2 operating systems? Currently my machine boots to grub.conf and asks if I want Windows XP or Fedora. What happens after I install other OS'es, like Solaris and Ubuntu? Will I have to edit grub.conf manually to reference the new partitions?

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 04:08:43 AM »
        It should automatically detect that there are other OS's there and install itself and modify GRUB accordingly. It seems that Vista comes with its own dual booter which installs and works similarly to GRUB.

banjo67xxx

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 05:13:11 AM »
        I had dual boot Suse linux and WinXP on my system and then I installed Solaris. Unfortunately, Solaris didn't recognise what Suse was so it only put Solaris and WinXP in the GRUB menu.

I fixed this simply by editting /boot/grub/menu.lst and adding the lines for Suse. In order to make sure I got them correct I copied them from the Suse / filesystem. Then I ran grub-install manually and that fixed it.