Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Surge on USB hub port. What do I do?  (Read 4460 times)

vitor8484

Power Surge on USB hub port. What do I do?
« on: January 08, 2007, 01:01:50 PM »
As soon as I turn on my pc I get a message that comes form the USB Icon on the task bar that says: Power Surge on hub port. A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port. For assistence in solving the problem, click this message.

If I close that, it just keeps on poping back up. If I click on it, another screen pops up that says: Power surge on hub port. A USB device has malfuctioned and exceeded the power limits of itt's hub port. You should disconnect the device.

Under that message ther is another message saying: The location of the device is shown in bold type.

- USB root hub (2ports)
   ? Unknown USB device
      Unused port

then under everything there is another message that says: To reenable the port, disconnect the hardware and click reset. If you click close, the port will no longer function.

The problem is that I have no USB device connected to the USB port on my computer. My pc has 2 ports in the front and 4 in the back. I thought the problem might be with the front port, so I opened the pc and disconected the front ports from the motherboard. But I still get those same messages on my screen when I turn my pc on. None of the USB ports are working.

These messages started to appear after I formated the pc, but before I did that the USB ports were not working. They were not working but no messages would appear. Now they are not work but I keep getting those messages and they just keep on poping up every time I close them.

If anyone could help me out, It would be GREAT.
thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Power Surge on USB hub port. What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »
If you unplugged the front ports and still recieved the error message than the short is in the rear ports.

This means those ports are damaged or have something in them that is shorting them out. They are part of the MBoard itself and i'm not sure they can be repaired other than having a shop take a look at them.

Is this machine still under warranty ? ?

The only option i can think of would be to get a PCI USB card and disable the onboard USB devices in the BIOS...

Possibly others here might have some other ideas...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

vitor8484

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »
I disabled the USB in CMOS, but the problem I am getting now is that, widows does not start
When I turn on the pc I get the tests at the begining and then I get a black screen and thats it!!!

But when I enable the USB port again, windows starts fine, but i keep on getting those messages about the USB hub port, and they just keep on poping up.

what do you think I shoul do?
should remove the USB drivers?
do you think that would work?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:23:04 PM »
Well it sounds like in order to run Windows you'll have to leave them enabled in the BIOS...BTW have you peered into those slots with a flashlight to see if there's a small foriegn object in any of them ? ?
Obviously do this with all power removed from the machine...

Have you got a PCI/USB card yet ? ?

patio.   8-)

vitor8484

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
I didn't get a PCI USB yet, but I just want to get that message to stop poping up. Do you have any Idea of how I could do that?

I really don't need the USB to work right now, I just need to spot getting that Message on my screen.

Thanks for your help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Well if Windows won't start with USB dis-abled in the BIOS i fear you are stuck with the message...for now.

patio.  8-)

vitor8484

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:48:48 AM »
If I buy I PCI USB and then disable the onboard USb, do you think I am going to be able to start windows normaly?

I didn't buy the PCI USB yet because even with it I think that windows won't start if the onboard USB is disabled. If the onboard USB is enabled that means that I am going to get that messsage all the time.

what do you think?

thanks