Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Turning WI-FI to an Ethernet cord  (Read 5856 times)

chadamount

Turning WI-FI to an Ethernet cord
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
Hi,

I have a quick question and it may be a dumb question, but if you could give me the answer it would be a huge help.

First of all I use my niehbors internet (he is totally fine with this I have talked to him about it) and I use it through WI-FI on my laptop. I recently got a PS3 and I'm having all kinds of problems connecting through this wireless internet on it. I was wondering if there is anything I could buy that would turn my WI-FI internet from my laptop to an ethernet cord that I could physically plug into my PS3. In other words share my WI-FI connection. I was wondering if a hub could do this or anything would be able to do this. Or is this not possible? Thank you.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Turning WI-FI to an Ethernet cord
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:07:03 PM »
Nice, you got a PS3?
Awesome.
Anyway, getting back to your problem . . .
I'm not a networking guru but I might be able to help.
I think that you may just need a crossover cable to hook your laptop to your PS3, and then you can enable the internet connection sharing on your laptop to share the wireless connection with the PS3.
I hope that makes sense.
And by the way, welcome to the forums.

M1CH431

Hopeful
  • DuffMan!!!
    « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »
    Nice, you got a PS3?
    Awesome.
    Anyway, getting back to your problem . . .
    I'm not a networking guru but I might be able to help.
    I think that you may just need a crossover cable to hook your laptop to your PS3, and then you can enable the internet connection sharing on your laptop to share the wireless connection with the PS3.
    I hope that makes sense.
    And by the way, welcome to the forums.
    I do the same thing with my Xbox, accept I use a router and A cat5 cable.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:15:22 AM »
    That's basically the same thing, but the OP doesn't have a router, they have a wireless connection to their neighbour's router.
    So a Cat5 cable and router is the same thing without the wireless in between.

chadamount

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »
    Alright I tried connecting my laptop to my PS3 with a crossover cable (which I'm assuming a Cat 5e cable is the same thing as an ehternet cable), and clicking on share internet last night. And I got little to no connectivity through the LAN connection, and my PS3 would time out when it was requesting the IP address. Although I did see both were doing work becasue the lights were flashing on each. I believe the PC is sending a single but nothing is being recieved. If that means anything. So do I need to try buying a router, and connecting it through that way? If so what router should I buy?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »
    So you plugged a crossover cable, which is the same as an Ethernet cable which is the same as a Cat5E cable, into the PS3 and laptop?
    And then shared the wireless connection with the PS3 via the Ethernet connection?

chadamount

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »
    Ok on to the next question. I figured it out how to connect the crossover wire and I can run the internet browser on my PS3 but it won't let me connect to the Play Station Network. So I called Sony yesterday and they said the only way I can make it work is by getting a router. So I bought a router and it won't let me set it up without a password.  But all I'm trying to do is turn this wireless internet into a wire, any suggestions on installing the software or how to make this work?

M1CH431

Hopeful
    • DuffMan!!!
      « Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »
      What Sort of Router did you get? Try this: Plug you PS3 into the router, and plug your laptop into your router. Then Enable internet connection sharing. Thats what I do with my router hopefully it shall work with you.