Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to install my used secondary Harddrive?  (Read 2644 times)

MR_ED

How to install my used secondary Harddrive?
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:30:41 AM »
Hey Guys, Happy New Year.
I need a little help I got a new PC over the
weekend. (The Motherbroad fried in my old PC) I am all setup, but I have a small problem.
My old HD I want to reuse but it has the XP OS on it
still! (Old Hard Drive ATA) (The new PC's HD is Sata) I do have one free ATA slot to use in the new PC, the other ATA slot is being used by two DVD Burners. 1.How can I install this and get my old info.
for that HD or 2. Just erase the old HD and reuse it
in my new PC.

I don't have a problem physically installing the second HD, I know where it goes IE: ATA port, Master, Slave, ect.  My problem is what to do before, during, or after the boot screen!  When I installed the secondary, it went to the screen that asks you to choose, normal start, safe mode, ect. No matter what I choose, it restarted and then looped me back to that screen again.  Now correct me if I am wrong but don’t I need to hit F6 or one of those keys during boot-up to get to the screen I need? If so, what do I do from there? Can you send me to a website or email
me the link on how to do this step by step? Thanks in advance for your help!

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: How to install my used secondary Harddrive?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:21:50 AM »
Okay go into your bios by pushing the "Delete" key as it is booting then change the boot order from "cd/dvd" to "floppy or harddrive (which has the OS you want to use not the other)". The harddrive should be either the second thing that boots or the third either way should work.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
The IDE needs to be jumpered as slave and be on the middle connector on either IDE cable...otherwise the machine will not boot to the SATA drive.

Right now it is trying to boot to the old install.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:03:54 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MR_ED

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:38:41 AM »
Remember my Main HD is SATA.  The Second is ATA, I have no Master/Slave issues. Ok, Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but, there is a way in the Bios to turn off the ATA Port so that my secondary HD can't boot. Remember my main HD is Sata. If this is the case, will I have normal access to windows after the boot screen? If so, do I just simply retrieve the data I want from, the old HD, in normal windows put it on my Sata HD? Then just format and partition the old HD from Disk Management?