Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot remove internet explorer  (Read 6901 times)

computernewbie004

cannot remove internet explorer
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:14:59 PM »
hi umm i cant completely remove internet explorer from my computer whenever i try to it says its (full, write protected, or may be in use).  by the way im running windows XP home edition.

reason i want and need it romoved i have some rare spyware /adware connected with it. whenever i exit out of an IE window something called manipulatingicesurface.com pops up than the link immediatly changes.  actually thats what i used to have  i think there more to the manipulatingicesurface part now.

Raptor

Re: cannot remove internet explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »
Remove the spyware instead by using a scanner such as Adaware SE

Try doing so in safe mode.

If you wish to remove Internet Explorer, attempt to do so in Safe Mode as well.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 12:54:46 AM »
    computernewbie004.....Have a read at the link posted below.....
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=4;action=display;num=1098423294

It refers to the same thing , unless its your post as well.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

robertmillar

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »
    Why do you want to remove it.  You will need it for windows updates.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:10:31 PM »
    http://www.wilderssecurity.net/bhblaster.html  iwould leave ie where its is...if you try to remove it ...you pc will be in a right mess?
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 01:13:00 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:14:39 PM »
    Internet Explorer cannot be easily removed.  That was the basis of the US Gov't lawsuit against Microsoft.

Read these:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/09/removeie.idg/

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1241.aspx

computernewbie004

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 06:50:01 PM »
    alrite i wil try all of those thank you for your help.

and i want to remove internet explorer  because ill it is is am annoyance i was constantly getting virsuses and trojans, etc from it and ever since i stopped using it ive been fine havent gotten any.  but i recently installed an program that requires adds and its using IE to show the adds so you can imagine how annoying it can be to exit out of pop-ups for a minute trying to be the pop-ups loading time so another one doesnt appear

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 06:41:42 AM »
    and i want to remove internet explorer  because ill it is is am annoyance i was constantly getting virsuses and trojans, etc from it

I never had these problems.

I doubt that Trojans are installed the moment you turn on Internet Explorer, you must have been downloading dodgy files.

I suggest you read up on Internet security at How Stuff Works.
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:42:53 AM by Raptor »

robertmillar

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 12:10:13 PM »
    Service pack 2 will stop most if not all of the pop ups.  But you will need ie6 to download the windows updates.  

computernewbie004

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 10:42:42 PM »
    yea i dont get the trojans immediatly there over time thing but since ive switched my internet browser all internet visuses and trojans have ceased.  i recently brought up IE to try and see the full webadress for manipulating.... but it moves to fast and when i opened IE i got a virus warning from avg i wouldnt mind keeping it on my computer i just need to either completely clean it or unistall and remove all traces than bring it back or something.  im usually hesitant about what i download i just dont download anything if anything seems suspicous i usually research the program i want to d/l and see if there has been anysort of problem with it mainly virus wise.

also i found out some info on the pop-ups whoever created that trojan or whatever gets paid for whenever some one sees one of those pop-ups he gets paid.  thats pretty much all i know about it .

and i thank you all for helping me with this so far

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 05:09:59 AM »
    Install a virus scanner, spyware scanner and a firewall.

Configure these properly and donot visit dodgy sites.

Should keep you relatively safe.