Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Socket 775 Motherboard problem  (Read 2743 times)

ZealEmpire

Socket 775 Motherboard problem
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:39 PM »
Hey guys I am currently working on a project where I am moving my old mother board which is a socket 775 pentium 4 into a new case.  However I have run into the last thing I would have thought of as a problem.  The new case I got has the ordinary front panel cables (Power HD) (Restart) and (HDD LED) These are the cables with the small flat rectangular shape ends.  However this old motherboard has absolutely no place for them to clip into the board.  I looked at the old setup the board had with the dell case and it was basically an ide cable.  I hope this makes sense.  I am basically checking with you guys before I have to resort to buying a mother board...

Thanks -Chris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:06:24 PM by ZealEmpire »

stones

Re: Socket 775 Motherboard problem
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »
I've experienced that before, you have two options..
-Cut the ends off the cables from the dell case and connect them to the cables in the new case.

-Get a new mobo

I think getting a new mobo would be a better choice since the original is an el cheapo OEM and finding an exact replacement for a good price would be next to impossible.

Tiger Direct has a gaggle of 775 mobo's to choose from(65) starting from 30 bucks all the way up to 330 bucks, you can also get mobo and processor sets pretty cheap too(85 to choose from).
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=13

No, I dont work for them. I just really like buying from them.

ZealEmpire

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:55:29 PM »
Yeah I kinda figured it was a lost cause to work with this oem board.  So all of these aftermarket 775 boards should come with that Q-connector for the front panel plugs?  

ZealEmpire

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »
Should I purchase some more thermal paste after I reinstall the pentium 4 into the new mother board I purchase?.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 03:17:08 PM »
Yes, especially if you removed the CPU fan during the process.

sneakers

Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:46:55 PM »
    I agree with tigerdirect, they have a fx 60, with M/B , case and 500 power suplly for 399. They do have some good deals sometimes.
    Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160

ZealEmpire

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
    Yeah its pretty much back and forth with them and new egg.  New egg is where I usually shop there was a great difference in processor prices so I just stuck with new egg.  Thanks GX I will get the thermal paste then.