Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor not showing correct speed.  (Read 5872 times)

GX1_Man

Re: Processor not showing correct speed.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 06:01:11 PM »
So that is not the original processor? When was it changed? How did you learn that was the fastest processor it could take? What was the original processor? Has it ever shown on screen as 866?

This is why we need all of the info, including the history of the computer, to figure things out.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:02:09 PM by GX1_Man »

Jek

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »
So that is not the original processor? When was it changed? How did you learn that was the fastest processor it could take? What was the original processor? Has it ever shown on screen as 866?

This is why we need all of the info, including the history of the computer, to figure things out.  ;)

Correct, it is not the original processor. the processor was changed about 2 months ago. I talked to HP Tech Support and asked them what the fastest compatible processor was. The original processor is an Intel Celeron 766/128/66/1.7v. and no, it has never shown ANYWHERE as an 866MHz processor.

By the way GX1_Man, i gave plenty of information. more than the average person would, so dont talk down to me buckwheat.  :P

Jek

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 07:40:23 PM »
Ideally, you would have a motherboard manual
Some older motherboards had jumpers which had to be changed in order to change the clock speed to match the CPU.

As far as mother board manuals and jumpers. These are the specifics on my MoBo.
Board: Asus CUW-AM/MEW-AM 2.06
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.06 11/17/00

i dont have the time to look into this myself at the moment, im doing some important school stuff.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 07:40:58 PM by Jek »

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 03:35:10 AM »
By the way GX1_Man, i gave plenty of information. more than the average person would, so dont talk down to me buckwheat.

Maybe more than the average person perhaps but the most important thing about this being a different processor than what came with it and that it has never functioned as an 866 was not revealed until now.  ::)

i dont have the time to look into this myself at the moment, im doing some important school stuff.

Well, when you get some time to fix your problem either the jumper on the motherboard has to be changed OR the tech told you wrong.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:42:02 AM by GX1_Man »

Jek

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »
thanks for your help everyone! i will try these last couple things. if anyone has any ideas or anything to add please post =D i'll update this when i try the frequency and jumpers ideas.

Jek

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 03:34:14 PM »
Alright guys what do you make of this?

I spoke with HP Tech support once more and this is what they said>

"Spencer G: No, it may cause damage to the motherboard also. We would suggest you to remove the processor that is currently installed and install the one that was shipped with the computer."

Now that doesnt make much sense, i just spoke with "Allwin M" a few days before and he pointed me directly to the 866/256/133/1.7v.

think i should remove it or try the jumpers and frequency?

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »
Generally HP's, etc. ship with the fastest processor available for that motherboard, especially of that vintage. I would put the original back as it will be faster than what you have now. You can look for the jumpers while you are in there, though. Some motherboards don't have them, having that adjustment through the BIOS only. I think the second tech was more likely to be correct.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:10:32 PM by GX1_Man »

Jek

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Look at this guys...

Everest Ultimate Edition>

This recognizes the CPU for the correct speed and shows that it is not working at full speed.

Kinda weird that nothing else has done this eh?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »
Referring back to my comments in Reply#11, did you ever check to see whether your BIOS has settings for CPU Frequency and DRAM Frequency?