Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway Laptop Dead  (Read 2503 times)

zuse2000

Gateway Laptop Dead
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:30:12 AM »
Problem started while using it the image became distorted with sadows then this happens regularly everytime it starts after about 10 minutes then after some time it won't start at all except when I press the plast part below the power button. I opened it and found that when I press on a chip the image will distort and when it is distorted and I press again on this chip it returns normal but the computer is frozen anyhow the chip is concealed by a piece of thick copper then it is covered with  a sheet of aluminium amd above it is located a small circuit connected to the MB the chip is located cloase to the processor so I thought it might be overheat problem so i tailored a piece of aluminim foil to cover the aluminum cover of the chip and to go above the fan of the processor for heat transfer but the probelm was the same I upgraded the BIOS and it worked onece or twicw after that then I removed the aluminum foil sheet that i tailored then tried to start the computer but it is not starting the processor fan is working but nothing else nothing on the monitor and no beeps so please help me localize the problem it is a gateway 450SX4 Laptop

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Gateway Laptop Dead
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
That's a long sentence...

Sounds like the MBoard has a problem and or the graphics chip or both.

Do some research into prices of replacement parts as laptops can get expensive to repair. This will tell you how far to go with it. Most repairs are not do-it yourselfer type things on laptops i'm afraid.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "