Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scrolling problem  (Read 7173 times)

govofc

scrolling problem
« on: September 29, 2004, 01:44:23 PM »
hello

whenever i scroll using the mouse or bar, the screen moves in a somewhat choppy, flickering manner. this does not seem to be an IE problem, however, as i experience this this choppy scrolling in other programs, such as Word and Excel.

turning down the screen resolution helps. however, it is still noticable, and i would prefer to be able to use a higher resolution. turning off smooth scrolling made no difference. neither did changing the color setting from highest to medium.

this problem may be virus-related. however, i have ran spybot and mcafee, and they have not found anything that fixed the problem.

thank you for any incite you may have

david

merlin_2

Re: scrolling problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 01:54:43 PM »
update graphics drivers...and what refresh rate are you using on your monitor?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 02:40:54 PM by merlin_2 »

govofc

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 03:14:38 PM »
could you be a bit more specific as to which program, exactly, that i must update/download?

and the screen refresh rate is set to default setting. there does not appear to be another option for that in the dropdown box.

thanks

edit. perhaps i should also elaborate on the problem i am describing: whenever scrolling, the display seems to take a fraction of a second to "catch up" to where it should be. this also occurs if i am moving a window.  instead of following where i am dragging it in a smooth manner, it flickers and is slow catching up. if i drag the window fast enough, i can see several images of the window, as it cannot follow fast enough where i am taking it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 03:25:12 PM by govofc »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »
what o/s have you got?if it win9x right the my computer icon /properties/click the + sign display click adaptor....graphics controller/properties...you now what graphics you have on board or card...or type msinfo32 in the run box...for system info.......or type dxdiag in the run box...to test your graphics...

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »
Mouse problems of this type can "usually" be corrected by setting hardware accelleration to a lower setting in the graphics properties.

govofc

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 05:22:49 PM »
i have windows xp. merlin, your last post was a bit over my head, however.

lowering the graphics settings did not change anything, until i brought it to the lowest level (which is actually "off", i think). that seemed to take care of most of the problem. now, all screen resolutions work equally well, but do not seem quite perfect, i.e. there is still a very small amount of flickering/lag.

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 05:55:26 PM »
Right click on the desktop. Click properties. Select the settings tab. Click advanced. Select the troubleshooting tab. Reduce hardware accelleration.

threecargarage

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 07:40:04 PM »
I had the same problem. I followed the instructions and completely disabled the hardware acceleration, and I no longer have a scrolling problem.

Will this affect any other program?

2k dummy

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 07:59:29 PM »
Not unless you are a gamer. If you need accelleration for games you can always change it back.