Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win32sl.exe, What is it ?  (Read 10395 times)

Jp

Win32sl.exe, What is it ?
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »
Hello,

I have installed and uninstalled spyware detections and tried to rid my computer of the Trojan Downloader, and seemingly have made matters worse, I have discovered a TBON, a type of advertising download that somehow installed itself in my computer and have a suspicion that it has somrthing to do with the Trojan Downloader.

When I started this malware investigation and tried to delete the Trojan Downloader there were about 8 entries before uninstalling the Active Virus Shield and others there must have been 30-40 entries, I have heard that this keeps getting worse.

I now have some instructions to use the Task manager to, "end process",
and I want to end the, Win32sl.exe process and understand that this will end the process until the next time I start.

Is this correct ? and can you tell me is this TBON related to the Trojan Malware ?

Jp

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win32sl.exe, What is it ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
It is related to Dell's Open Client package...See Here

Suggest DLoading and running AVG Anti-Spyware and run it in Safe Mode.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »
And for TBON see here.

What AV and firewall are you using :-?

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Jp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »
patio,

thanks, I see win32sl.exe is a process belonging to the Dell OpenManage Client Instrumentation software. It allows remote management application programs to access a client computer for maintenance purpose.
Scan Your PC including win32sl.exe to Detect any Security Threat

I have never had remote access of my computer, and don't know how or why it was installed unless it was stock.

My question is, . .  can some remote hacker access my computer ?

Also if I do a scan, do you reccomend uninstalling the scan device afterwards ?

Jp

Jp

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »
      (.......  What AV and firewall are you using :-?   ........)

Rusty thanks, . .

I am running as far as I know, . . since I deleted all other,

? a spy zapper ? that comes on everynow and then and does a quick scan but I don't think it finds anything, and it is a part of the AOL systems, . . .

If sp2 has spyware, etc., I will have it I have downloaded it but can not figure or where it is yet unless MS is calling it Windows Hotfix (SP2) Q819696 ??
otherwise, I'm going to need something reliable and will check out stock computer stuff like McKafee.

Firewall !!!!! aaahhhh,  I'mmmmmmmm gonna need to look into that too.

I'll check out that TBON site.

Jp

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:50:32 PM by Jp »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:52:53 PM »
    Jp.......  Would you please post a hijackthis logfile here so we my look at it .

I hope that you have system restore turned off .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Jp

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »
    dl65,
    Systems restore, I dont know if its on but, WHY???

I will check into it right away and I will do the HYJT asap.

Jp

Jp

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
    dl65,

I pulled up the systems Properties box from Systems file in Control Panel, . . .
    it reads, (box empty) Turn off systems restore, . .

if it isn't suppose to be that way than what's going on and whats next?

Jp

Jp

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:44 PM »
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:58:13 AM, on 1/26/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltpspd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\cpqalert.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CPQWEB~1\WebDmi.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\ActivityDisk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\Dmi\Win32\bin\Win32sl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\cpqdmi.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEAKSYSTEMTRAY.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
    C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CHKADMIN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\AD2KClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\AtHoc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\netdde.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipsrv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\RINGCE~1\RINGCE~1\R0FAXEDT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1143471933\ee\aolsoftware.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Joe Poole\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

(continued in the next post)

Jp

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=2c02&lc=0409
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://rd.yahoo.com/customize/yessentials_cq/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Compaq
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}_ - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: SST - {FFFFDA2C-A0D5-4D60-8EE1-1B7F8929E24D} - C:\Program Files\Lycos\sst.dll (file missing)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: ThomasNet.com Toolbar - {46AE03C0-BCFA-4728-90E7-00EB4A8B3863} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\AtHocTBr.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WCOLOREAL] "C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Coloreal\coloreal.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ChkAdmin] C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CHKADMIN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Startup Options] C:\Program Files\Iomega\Common\ImgStart.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [netdefense2003] C:\Documents and Settings\Joe Poole\Desktop\epc protector\netdefense.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1143471933\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [masqform.exe] C:\Program Files\PureEdge\Viewer 6.0\masqform.exe -UpdateCurrentUser
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ImInstaller_IncrediMail] C:\DOCUME~1\JOEPOO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ImInstaller\IncrediMail\incredimail_install[1].exe -startup -product IncrediMail
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Iomega Active Disk] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\AD2KClient.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\AOL.EXE" -b
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: ThomasNet.com Toolbar.LNK = ?
    (continued in next post)
    « Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:01:38 PM by Jp »

Jp

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »

O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
    O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=2c02&lc=0409
    O16 - DPF: {2ED9BC2B-4DF1-472E-9B5E-55477D2C97F5} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1143817725593
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1169617713187
    O16 - DPF: {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.companion.yahoo.com/dl/toolbar/yiebio5_3_16_0.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4F7A1AF5-AB99-4CB3-8138-3C843F1ED6DA}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: Compaq Advisor (Compaq_RBA) - NeoPlanet - C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
    O23 - Service: Compaq Local Alerter (CPQALERT) - Compaq Computer Corporation - C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\cpqalert.exe
    O23 - Service: cpqdmi - Compaq Computer Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\cpqdmi.exe
    O23 - Service: Compaq DMI Web Agent (cpqWebDmi) - Compaq Computer Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CPQWEB~1\WebDmi.exe
    O23 - Service: Iomega Activity Disk2 - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\ActivityDisk.exe
    O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Win32Sl (WIN32SL) - Intel - C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\Dmi\Win32\bin\Win32sl.exe

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »
      Jp........ First of all ...... your system restore is turned on .....
      To turn it off , go to control panel and click on the system icon ...... when it opens select the system restore tab ....... now put a check mark in the box in front of turn of system retore on all drives..... click apply and restore .
      Please tell me again what programs you used to scan for viruses and trojans ?
      list the programs you used .
      Did you run these scans in the safe mode ?

Do you ever use that Compaq computer management program ?

You do not have SP2 installed ........... why not ?
      You also should D/L Prevx1  ......  http://info.prevx.com/pxparall.asp?PXC=40055688922      run it to remove Tbon.
      Use hijackthis to remove....
      O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML         this is deemed to be nasty.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:04:42 AM by dl65 »

Jp

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:21:46 AM »
      dl65,

I used the two programs from AOL. Active virus shield and another, and another, . . I'm sorry I'll try to locate that information for you.

Please tell me;
      Since my systems restore is on what has this meant in the past,
      in does not appear that it has reverted to its previous state, . . or has it and I have not known about it, . .nothing seems to have changed, . ., as long as my document file is oK.

Again, sorry, I know little about the safe mode. I'll look into it.

The computer is presently running pretty good.

No, I do not use the management program, but will look into it, as tody I seem to be getting a glimmer of insight, as is much needed as I have used my computer mainly for internet connecting to business people and e-mail and fax communicating.

Ultimately it has all caught up to me, and now I have to catch up.

I'll try to get the list of programs.
      Appreciate your assistance.

Jp

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:51 AM »
        Jp........  ok...lets try this again.....
        I would like you to d/L the following programs:

AVG Free anti virus.  http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

AVG Antispyware 7.5   http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

Spybot Search and destroy 1.4   http://www.tucows.com/preview/310138

Prevx ...... http://info.prevx.com/pxparall.asp?PXC=40055688922    [highlight]you need this to remove Tbon[/highlight]

Once you have them all downloaded and installed, get the latest updates for all of them.

Now reboot into safe mode and run Prevx first ........
        then AVG ant virus
        then AVG antispyware
        Spybot

shut off your pc .......
        start it up and As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, tap F8
        repeatedly until you see a list of how to start .....select SAFE mode.  let it load up and then run the scans ......... when all the scans are complete , reboot the pc and it will start in normal mode .

Then you must get SP2.

Jp

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 12:56:16 AM »
        dl65,
        Thanks, I'll try this.

Before I shut down, . .  I'll d/L the 4 AV's and turn off
        Systems Restore, I really would like to know why this was on and why it seemingly had no effect ? . . . As I have also had this responce leaving me a little confused ;

System restore reverts your PC's drivers and registry settings back to a different date in time.
        System restore is inportant and extremely useful in suituations where malware/spyware installs itself and corrputs your registry. You will do no harm turning it off (you will free up alot of disk space if you do) but I would reccomend keeping it on.

Jp