Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Starting a forum  (Read 9239 times)

Damnation

Starting a forum
« on: January 28, 2007, 04:50:11 AM »
Hi there

Im a little dumb when it comes to these things. I want to start a Forum, just for funsies. Dont exactly know what to do.

What I have done so far. My Apache, MySql and FTP (FileZilla) is up and running. I have downloaded phpBB *censored* well.

So now, I have to get an domain and nameservers. Where do I get an free domain and nameservers. I tried www.za.net, there I can register for a free domain, but in the registration form I have to fill in at least 2 nameservers, but where do I get that? And when I have all of that I think I have to upload the phpBB files through FileZilla.

I'm probably a little off here, but could someone please help with some directions or advice?

Regards

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Starting a forum
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »
Are you hosting your site yourself?

Damnation

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
Yes, thats the plan, but as you can see I'm a little lost  :)

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:57:08 PM »
From what I understand with the website your talking about, your not registering for a domain name. You're registering for a free subdomain(Correct me if im wrong). You know you can host a website from your own computer. Look at the address of my website, just click the picture below or the www picture. Or you could host at http://www.110mb.com/. Much easier there. Hope that helps :D.

8-)fffreak
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:04:43 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Damnation

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »
Thx for the info!

So how did you go about hosting your site, did you use 110mb.com thing or what?

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
Nope, I am probably going to switch over, but right now I am hosting it from my computer.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »
fffreak, he still needs to obtain nameservers, right?  I believe the hosting service provides that.

As far as the free hosting goes, I'd avoid it.  You can find plenty of good hosting services that cost very little for the basic plan and you're going to have a better hosting service that way.  For example, take a look at www.totalchoicehosting.com.  Their Starter Plan is only $4/mo.  

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
Nope, I am probably going to switch over, but right now I am hosting it from my computer.
So, how is the nameserver code determined in that situation?

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »
Yep, I know soybean you are right about that. I am hosting through dyndns. however, I don't think he wants to pay for hosting.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:01:53 PM by fffreak »

Damnation

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 02:17:43 PM »
Yes you are right, this isn't a life threatening project that I have to do. I just like to try new things. So, if I could get an free service it would be nice, not that I really understand exactly what I must do haha, but yes, you get the idea. And thanks for the help so far.

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »
Did you want to know how to host from your computer? I could tell you, if you want ;).

8-)fffreak

soybean

Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »
Hi there

Im a little dumb when it comes to these things. I want to start a Forum, just for funsies. Dont exactly know what to do.

What I have done so far. My Apache, MySql and FTP (FileZilla) is up and running. I have downloaded phpBB *censored* well.

So now, I have to get an domain and nameservers. Where do I get an free domain and nameservers. I tried www.za.net, there I can register for a free domain, but [highlight]in the registration form I have to fill in at least 2 nameservers[/highlight], but where do I get that? And when I have all of that I think I have to upload the phpBB files through FileZilla.

I'm probably a little off here, but could someone please help with some directions or advice?

Regards
fffreak what about his original question on nameservers?  How does that work if he hosts his own site?

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 08:05:54 PM »
It will work if that company has a redirect service. I wouldn't know though because I didn't check the site out for myself. But for the most part you are right if they do not have a redirect service. Or he could just redirect to his computer using a "meta refresh" or javascript in the header of an index.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:07:02 PM by fffreak »

Damnation

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »
Yes dude I wanted to know how to host the website from my own computer plz  :)

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »
Alright, you can use Apache, Xerver, Abyss, KF Webserver, Baby Webserver, BRS Webweaver, or AnalogX Simple Server:WWW. Apache is good, but I recommend Xerver just because, it is easy to setup, and all the features it has. If you get Xerver, just run the setup and place your website into the folder that you specify as the /www/root/. Once that is done you can go to Dyndns and get a free dynamic or static subdomain name with the ip address you provide. Then run Xerver and open the internet and type http://localhost/, or http://127.0.0.1/, or your subdomain name that you signed up for. And everything should work perfectly fine if not post back. Hope that helps ;)!

8-)fffreak
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:48:11 PM by fffreak »