Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer will only run in safe mode  (Read 3767 times)

tinykitkatgrl

computer will only run in safe mode
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »
This is not a quick-fix problem, and I really need an expert who can help me.  :-?
Since about last August, my computer will freeze less than five minutes after booting in normal mode. This will happen whether I use the internet, log on, etc.- there seems to be no correlation between what I'm doing and when it freezes. It started one morning when I woke up to a frozen screensaver- restarted the computer, and it froze a few minutes later... again, and again and again. I cannot recall making any changes at all to my computer before this started. I tried system restore immediately and it said no changes had been made to my computer.
Since then i've been working in safe mode with networking, which besides being a general nuisance, has put my computer at risk because I'm unable to install windows updates, etc.
For the past week or so I've been posting at the SWI forums and the only conclusion that we've really come to is that it's not a malware problem. Here's the link to the post if you'd like to review it: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=92457&st=0

Anyone who has any insight on this at all, please help?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer will only run in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
Are there any entries in your Event Log which show a problem :-?

Is your RAM usage exceptionally high :-?
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
DLoad and run the HDD diagnostics from your HDD's site...

DLoad and run memtest...let it run for a few hours...

Other than that it might be a power supply issue which can only be tried by swapping out a new unit.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:54:49 PM »
I checked the Event Log already, didn't find anything unusual.

i'm only using about 2/3 of my memory.

How can I find out what my hard drive manufacturer is? My brother "built" this computer from various parts so I don't know it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »

[highlight]i'm only using about 2/3 of my memory.[/highlight]

How can I find out what my hard drive manufacturer is? My brother "built" this computer from various parts so I don't know it.

How do you come to that conclusion? When was the last time Windows was loaded on that machine? Do you have a Windows CD to reinstall with if necessary?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »

i'm only using about 2/3 of my memory.

[highlight]How can I find out what my hard drive manufacturer is?[/highlight] My brother "built" this computer from various parts so I don't know it.

Go to the control panel to 'system' then -hardware then- device manager
double click on -disk drives.That should tell you what hard drive you have.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 07:22:37 PM »
okay, got it, thanks.
i'm running that after i reinstall my graphics driver (which someone else suggested).

Perhaps this is wrong, to check my memory I looked under capacity at properties on my c: drive?

I've tried to load windows normally several times in the past week with no luck.

I only have a windows upgrade cd, which i tried to do repairs with and got nothing but error messages.

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Reinstalling my graphics driver didn't work. and the diagnostic hdd tool found no problems.

i can't run memtest yet because i don't have a floppy to create a bootdisc on.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »
You can run it if you burn it to a cd using the iso.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 04:25:06 AM »
Have you considered doing a reinstall after backing up your data files? THis will not fix any hardware problems, but will solve all Windows problems.....for a while.  ;)