Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video cards - chips  (Read 4196 times)

daydreamer110761

video cards - chips
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:37:29 PM »
what is the best way to change out a set of chips - in other words - i want to take 2 out of one and replace in another - but without ruining them?  finally figured out what was going on with an old problem.....

Computer_Commando

Re: video cards - chips
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 05:04:29 PM »
Don't know the type of memory chips on your video card, but some I'v seen look like notebook memory.  Look at this:  http://www.crucial.com/install/sodimm2.asp

daydreamer110761

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »
not sure how to explain it - but there are 2 brown squares with small black chips - attached to the card.  one card doesn't work (the one that has the chips) which is the one i found to be causing my boot-less problem.  the other card works, but does not have those chips in the brown squares - or holders - the computer is running fine - but video has lines all through it - i assume its those chips missing - and want to exchange them - but they don't seem to want to pop out without force - don't want to hurt them.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:44:17 PM »
What is make and model of video card?  Are both cards identical?  If not, make and model of both.

daydreamer110761

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 05:56:08 PM »
both are by s3 -one not working is trio64v+, the other is trio 64v/dx - was hunting but can't find much on it.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 06:17:07 PM »
I have an old S3 in my computer.  Here's their website:  http://www.s3graphics.com/

Here's a link to an S3 test utility:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/s3trio.html

There should be a small metal clip on either side of the memory chip, push them out and flip the chip forward, then slide the memory out.

Or does it look like this
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 06:21:49 PM by Computer_Commando »

daydreamer110761

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 06:40:01 AM »
well, that picture looks a bit older than the one i have - but it's not the memory chip missing out of it - it's 2 of the other ones - as far as the test site - that would be good - if i had the other computer on line, but at the moment i don't - i swear I'll get this worked out somehow.  since s3 doesn't make them anymore - where is a good spot to find the pictures, and maybe specs ???

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 10:43:33 AM »
...where is a good spot to find the pictures, and maybe specs ???

I couldn't find any.  I just looked through my pile of old parts and I found a S3 Trio64V2/DX,with empty sockets.  The 2 empty sockets are for extra memory.  With a small screwdriver, gently pry the memory chips from one board and install on the other board.  Be careful of orientation, there's a corner cut off the brown socket...that is pin-1.  If you install upside down, it will surely blow up.  No guarantee the lines are from lack of memory, could be damaged memory already on card.

daydreamer110761

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »
thank you thank you....... :D

i had to pry them out - that's what i was afraid of - but since the card i pried them from was already bad (i checked it in 3 puters) - it couldn't hurt to try - and it worked - the 64dx was just something i found in - alas - a pile of my old junk - and decided to try it - it worked - just not very well - adding the extra memory did take the lines and garbage out.

anyway - its a great thing - i have my old baby back -   ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 03:39:49 PM »
... (i checked it in 3 puters) - it couldn't hurt to try - and it worked - the 64dx was just something i found in - alas - a pile of my old junk - and decided to try it - it worked - just not very well - adding the extra memory did take the lines and garbage out....

Cool!!  It's nice when it works.  And when you do it yourself.  I see you're in St. Pete, I'm in Jupiter/PBG.  Small world, huh?

daydreamer110761

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 03:43:19 PM »
love messing with this stuff - but sometimes ya just gotta put it down!  thanx again - now that i have my old guy back, can put the lovely compaq in a kids room, and start building the next monster..... 8)  

daydreamer110761

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 06:08:40 PM »
well - here i go again!  it worked for a while - and then quit again.  so - is it possible - aside from having 2 bad video cards (which since they're both old its possible for both to have been about dead) - anyway - is it possible for something on the MB to be blowing out the video?  this is pretty wierd for me - am taking the chips out of this one too and trying again - but it's still stange!