Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't start up  (Read 2690 times)

mhat

computer won't start up
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »
When I press the power button, the computer makes some sounds and the monitor stays on standby.  There are 4 sounds and then a slight pause, then 2 more.  It doesn't beep twice(?) like it usually does when starting.  I can feel the case fan running.  And the drives are powered.  That's about all I could observe.

I haven't changed any hardware or software.  The only thing I've done is move from one house to another, so I had disconnected the monitors, printers, various USB devices, and the power cord a couple days ago.  Everything was functional before taking it all apart.  I put it all back together this morning, exactly as it was before (minus an ethernet cable and one of the two monitors connected previously), and I got the 6 sounds as described above.  

The computer runs Windows XP, has two internal SATA hard drives, a dvd-rom, a dvd burner, floppy drive, nVidia Gforce G series vid card (can't remember model), and a Sound Blaster Audiogy 2 card.  The keyboard and mouse are wireless, with a controller that connects via USB.  The monitor is connected to the video card, VGA.

Someone please tell me what I can do to fix whatever problem there is.  I will do my best in providing more details on the computer itself as needed.

Thanks in advance.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: computer won't start up
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
    jen1234......  It's more than possible that during the move , something has moved , flexed and is not making propery contact ...... So I would be inclined to open the case ( and after making sure that you have no static buildup in you ) carefully remove and then reseat the ram , and all of the plug in cards. Also check to be sure that all the cables are tight in the sockets ( inside the case ) .... Then close things back up and retry powering it up .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.