Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't do anything  (Read 8202 times)

Korpus

Computer won't do anything
« on: October 08, 2004, 08:30:57 PM »
A while back I installed Windows 98 SE on an a Compaq Deskpro. It worked fine until I did not use it on weekend after that it just did not work. I turned it on and the power led and HDD led just stay on. There are no beeps, the lights just stay on. I try to eject the CD drive and it wont open, I think it might be a powersupply problem. The computer has a maxtor HDD and aQuantum BigFoot installed. Everything is connected properly because it was functional. When i unplug the HDD ribbon cable the computer makes two beeps and stays the same. The monitor stays black. And it also has a Intel Pentium MMX processor. I dont know what the problem is ???   I will appreciate if you help me.

Raptor

Re: Computer won't do anything
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 01:40:54 AM »
Computer Post / Beep codes

That article may be of use to determine what the two beeps mean.

Korpus

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 10:52:37 AM »
the two beeps mean parity error or something like that, the two beeps happen when I unplug HDD ribbon cable and then turn on the computer. When I connect it back and then turn it back on it does not do any beeps and does not do anything, I think it might be a powersupply problem because it's rated a 110Watts, but im not sure though.

Korpus

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 10:55:42 AM »
Also, the CD drive wont eject.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
Merlin, please learn how to use
Code: [Select]
[url=link]name[/url] properly.. Otherwise it makes threads very hard to.. decipher..

Has your problem occured recently or after adding new hardware?

Korpus

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 02:00:51 PM »
The maxtor hard drive came with the computer it's dated 1998, the problem started after I added a Modem card, Serial Port card, and a Promise card that allows me to connect four IDE devices. After that it worked until I did not use it over the weekend. I removed everything to see if it would go back to normal but it didn't so i guess I messed up my motherboard, or if im lucky eneough it's a powersupply problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 02:18:57 PM »
remove the promise card for a minute...connect the hard drive <master>via an ide cable to the mobo and boot it up..

Korpus

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 04:02:18 PM »
I removed the Promise card and the rest of the cards.  and connected master HDD to computer. Still nothing, When I turn on the computer the lights on the keyboard flash and then lock up. But I still have a black screen...

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »
Run the hardrive diagnostic program powermax>http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm

shield

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 09:16:08 PM »
Also, the CD drive wont eject.

are you shure your IDE cables are connected correctly or even the power plugged into it?...  try clearing the cmos with the jumper

Korpus

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 09:20:12 PM »
it is connected correctly because the Ribbon cable is keyed and the light comes on when i power the computer, I jumpered the CMOS and still nothing, Probably i fried my MoBo with one of the cards...... :-/

shield

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 09:22:20 PM »
well lets troubleshoot before we come to that conclusion... unplug your power supply, and remove the cmos battery, wait 19 seconds , put back in and boot up

Korpus

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 11:44:11 AM »
I removed CMOS battery and unpluged powersupply but it still wont start it just stays the same...

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 02:24:17 PM »
have you got a cdrom disk stuck in the drive ...use a paper clip in the little hole on the drive to check...and check your floppy drive has no disks in it?can you obtain the bios screen on boot?have you run the diagnostic program for you hard drive..

Computer_Commando

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 03:02:07 PM »
A while back I installed Windows 98 SE on an a Compaq Deskpro.... I think it might be a powersupply problem.....

I've worked on lots of Compaq's from that time, late 1990's.  Many things are not standardized.  There is no "normal" BIOS, it's a "pointer" to a hidden hard drive partition, where the Compaq BIOS resides.  I think part of the power supply is dead, +5VDC appears to be working, +12VDC might not.  Do you have a DVM (digital voltmeter)?  You can test the power supply.  Is there an extra connector from the power supply?  With the computer on and the lights on (as you describe), voltage between red and black is 5VDC, voltage between yellow and black is 12VDC.