Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't do anything  (Read 8201 times)

Korpus

Re: Computer won't do anything
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 04:10:04 PM »
I measured the connection and it measures 5.1 Volts and 12 Volts, there is no CD in the drive and no floppy in the drive. When I opened the computer both hard drives spin up, CD Rom light does not light up and the floppy drive light does not light up.

Korpus

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 04:41:04 PM »
Thinking it might be a Hard drive problem at startup i put an old Seagate St3120A hard drive that has Windows 3.1 in to see if it would boot, Still nothing.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »
Thinking it might be a Hard drive problem at startup i put an old Seagate St3120A hard drive that has Windows 3.1 in to see if it would boot, Still nothing.

How long before nothing?  You may have to let it sit there for 20 minutes or more, until the BIOS figues out there is no Compaq partition.  Did you try hitting F10 key to enter BIOS?  Can you get it to boot from a floppy disk?  Now you know why you see so many Compaqs in the trash.  I wonder if the new ones are any different, now that Compaq was acquired by HP.  One of the Compaqs I had did the same as you describe.  I stripped it for parts.  All the parts worked, the motherboard I threw out with the case.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 05:21:37 PM by Computer_Commando »

Korpus

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 07:20:44 PM »
Today i opened the case and there is this faint burnt smell, I dont know where it's coming from i'll have to check, but I turn it on and instantly it stops doing anything, I cant get to the BIOS screeen, there are no beeps, and I cant boot from a floppy the light wont even come on. Yeah....If I cant get it to work ill probly sell the parts or throw it away.

Korpus

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 10:15:43 AM »
Today i took it apart, i took out the motherboard and there was a big scorch mark on the motherboard. prolly why there was problems.

merlin_2

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 05:32:36 PM »
All depends on what you did to the mobo...what was was it? maybe  you can send it back ...faulty..or what you did with it? to much psu....cpu overclock add load to it..etc...< change the h/d to seagate..buid you own one...why not..

Computer_Commando

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2004, 05:45:03 PM »
All depends on what you did to the mobo...what was was it? maybe  you can send it back ...faulty..or what you did with it? to much psu....cpu overclock add load to it..etc...< change the h/d to seagate..buid you own one...why not..

Merlin, it's an old computer.  Maybe he can sell it to Raptor?

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 11:21:03 PM »

Merlin, it's an old computer.  Maybe he can sell it to Raptor?

And I thought teenagers made silly remarks.  ::)