Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Port Scanning  (Read 2919 times)

LCRJR

Port Scanning
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:21:01 AM »
I'm new to this forum, occationally I will get an alert certain ports are being scanned by IANA. I want to know if they are collecting information and if it would hurt anythig if I attempt to block there access?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Port Scanning
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
     LCRJR... This would be your firewall giving you these alerts I'm guessing. Are you being asked to allow access ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

LCRJR

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:50:22 AM »
    Yes it my sygate firewall alerting me I'm being scanned. I backtrace the source to the internet numbers authority, I have the option to stop all actions, and can possibly block that IP from access but I don't know if it's nessisary or if it would interfere with my computer operation or internet access?

TheAdvocate

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:14:38 PM »
    Hey, I had sygate a little bit ago. But I found something alot better. It's called COMODO Firewall pro.

It's alot better then sygate...I've had sygate for ages, and tried many other products (like macafee, zonealarm etc.) and this is by far the best one i've had.

I would recommend downloading this...It's a good product, but anyway...

Port Scanning is usually triggered by games in my case, I play alot of CSS and such, and I get port scanned from the same ip almost every time I start up my CounterStrike: Source, because it needs to know if your ports are available to use for the game...Or theres a small chance that it's a hacker and they are scanning your computer for open ports to start an attack...

Also, if you have trouble with doing something, or a port is blocked, you should try port forwarding...