Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 2.0 Netlink  (Read 4682 times)

bighenry

USB 2.0 Netlink
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:19:19 AM »
I bought the above device to provide communications between my 233 mhz PII pc and my 2.8 ghz P4 Dell pc. Both are running WinXp with the Dell having USB 2.0 and the older pc having USB 1.0 capability. The manual (on CD) details a simple procedure for installing the device on  both PCs. Essentially it was  to run the install program and then insert the USB connector and the Netlink control program would see the device and connect it up.

It has not worked! While searching the web for Netlink devices I found a few that had readable manuals. One of them said that drivers for this device would not be needed since XP could provide them, that it would work with either USB 1.0 or 2.0 and that the device would appear as a mountable drive with a drive letter. This has not happened!

Has anyone tried such a device?

Thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: USB 2.0 Netlink
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:48:58 PM »
Could you give a model number?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

bighenry

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 05:13:57 PM »
The cardboard it was ttached to just said USB 2.0 Netlink (made in china). On the CD were some manuals with no model number referenced. I did find a blue print type of schematic of the device which had in the document box in the lower right a "PL-2501" and dated 6/19/03.
Thanks for responding.
RobRoy

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 07:01:05 AM »
Where did you buy this from?

bighenry

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:15:30 AM »
I bought it on Ebay from a seller "ut-trading" who had 7733 transactions, a 98.1% positive feedback and has been a member since 8/16/05. He looked like a reliable seller. I send him an Ebay email but no response yet.

In one of the many folders on the supplied CD was an installation note referring to this device as an "Ali USB HostLink" controller. It cost $4 with an $11 shipping charge.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
Can you try using it between your faster machine and, say, a friend's modern laptop?  I think the slow machine is the weak link, and the claim that the cable works with USB 1.0 may be a little - uh - exaggerated...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:16:26 AM by robpomeroy »