Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600 Help  (Read 2983 times)

zwsutton

Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600 Help
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:03:09 PM »
Hello everyone...

I am looking for a little assistance in identifying a persistent problem I have been having...I believe it is my video card that is the issue.  It began with some flickering and gargling on my screen and has gotten progressively worse.  It is to the point that everytime I try and boot my computer I get to the Windows XP loading screen and there are a few vertical lines present.  Once past the XP loading screen...its as if my moitor resets and loses the signal, searching back and forth between digital and analog.  As a result, I am unable to startup in normal mode...

I thought at first it may be an issue with my monitor but the problem remains even when I switch monitors.  I am able to boot up in safe mode, but the display shows vertical pink lines.  I am led to believe that this is a signal that there is a problem with my video card, the Geforce4 Ti 4600.  I have had it for aprrox. 5 years...the monitor I am using is a Samsung SyncMaster 910T.  Is it time for a new video card?  The only thing I have done so far to attempt to resolve the problem was an update of the driver which did not help.  Can someone help me pinpoint the problem?  I would be very grateful for any help.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600 Help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »
Even if you've already got the latest drivers, try this.

1. Download the new drivers, but do not install yet.

2. Uninstall the old display drivers via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

3. Restart.

4. Install the new drivers.

5. Restart.

Make sure you remove all traces of the old drivers.
See how it is then.
Also, check that the card is seated correctly and firmly in its slot.
And check that the airflow in the case is good, and that the card is not overheating.

Joe_Flanagan

Re: Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600 Help
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:37:24 PM »
Also, make sure that the video card fan is spinning up properly.
(as well as all the others)
If a cooling problem is suspected, an old trick is to open the side of the case and point a desk fan at the innards.
Start up and see if the problem disappears. If it does, you know that you have a cooling (air circulation) issue.

If none of the above works, you could try underclocking the card a bit.
I think the free utility Riva Tuner will let you do this.
Cool bits is another one.
Most all the video card utilities are here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=13
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 12:41:01 PM by Joe_Flanagan »