Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scroll bars in Word  (Read 2696 times)

fairwind

scroll bars in Word
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »
Greetings to all...

I may be a bit pedantic with this but here goes.

I have my MS "Word" open and then click the "open" button. What is really annoying me is the fact that the vertical scroll bar is always half way down the track and my carefully numbered files are not visible in the file list window; ie, those at the top. I am pretty sure that this can be set somehow to always open with the scroll bar at the top, but try as I might I cannot find the way.

I have files within files and not all of them have the bar half way down when I open them??!!

Any clues about how to rectify this folks?

Thanks in advance to all who read and reply...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:51:37 PM by fairwind »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: scroll bars in Word
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 05:32:54 AM »
Can you provide a screenshot please?  That will help to clarify what you're referring to.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

fairwind

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:02:28 AM »
Hi Rob.

The attached zip file has two pics. The first shows the scroll bar at the bottom of the track and the second pic shows the scroll bar at the top AFTER I push it up. It's only a minor movement but I have to move it up every time I click the "open" button.

The files I mostly use are the trading files shown at the top of pic 2, after I move the bar up.

That "desktop.ini" thing at the bottom, is that the problem maybe??

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:09:33 AM »
That "desktop.ini" thing at the bottom, is that the problem maybe??

I don't know but do you need to use All Files for Files of type?  Try changing it to Word Documents and see whether the behavior of the Open panel changes.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:56:40 AM »
There is a slight confusion with the terms you are using here.  A "file" is a document or single item.  A "folder" contains files and/or other folders.

The problem you have is that the Office dialogue boxes automatically scroll to the first real file in any folder.  In your case, since you are viewing all files and you are configured to view system and hidden files, "desktop.ini" will be the first file in some of your folders.

I do not know a way of overriding this behaviour, but here's a quick tip: In the dialogue box, press Shift-Tab, to move the selection cursor to the file/folder list.  Then press Home to go to the start of folder list.  You can use the cursor keys to go up and down the list, Enter to descend into one of the folders, and Backspace to revert to the containing folder.  All without touching your mouse.

Hope this helps.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:24:35 AM »
You might also find Word's Work menu quite useful.  "Word offers a special menu called the Work menu. Located between the Window menu and the Help menu, this menu is designed to store a list of your commonly used files. Unlike the recent files list at the bottom of the File menu, Word doesn't add documents here automatically; you must add them manually. If you regularly use the same files, the Work menu saves you a trip to the Finder. Just select your document from the Work menu and get to work."  

For more, see Make Your Own Menu in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint (source of above quote).

Here's another reference, http://addbalance.com/word/workmenu.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:28:36 AM by soybean »

fairwind

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »
Hi again Rob and Soybean...

Rob, Re:  "In your case, since you are viewing all files and you are configured to view system and hidden files, "desktop.ini" will be the first file in some of your folders."

This has given me the clue as to what I have done. I remember now that I clicked "show hidden files" some time ago just to see what it does and what files are lurking around inside the PC. I have now clicked "do not show hidden files" and my problem has disappeared.

Soybean, I have had a look at those two references you offered. They are very intersting and I have added them to my favorites, thanks.

My learning of computers has now advanced with the help this wonderful forum.

Thank you gentlemen...... :D :D :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:25:46 PM by fairwind »