Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what happened to this hard drive?  (Read 1773 times)

Tom_Sanders

what happened to this hard drive?
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »
I have two slave hard drives. One is failing, and I've been marking bad sectors with ScanDisk. The other is from a junked computer. I've been switching between them as D drives, marking sectors on one and storing big sound files on the other. Overnight on the sound files drive, file names have changed into gibberish, and other correctly spelled file names are now misspelled. In the sound files folder, the two sub-folder names have also changed into gibberish. Properties says they contain zero bytes each. On My Computer, the pie graph for this drive hasn't changed in size. So I'm assuming the files are still on it.

ScanDisk on this drive crashes. The jumpers are correctly set per the manufacturer. It had been working fine. What happened to it while it was sitting here next to the computer? Can these files be recovered?

GX1_Man

Re: what happened to this hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »
From the moment a hard drive starts to fail it is...well, foolish to store any important data on it. As it continues to fail this will happen whether you have marked anything or not.

Tom_Sanders

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
Re-read what I wrote. The sound files drive is not the one I'm marking with ScanDisk. That one is failing and I don't store anything on it. I'm not that ignorant. The sound files drive worked fine until this afternoon.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »
[highlight]ScanDisk on this drive crashes.[/highlight] The jumpers are correctly set per the manufacturer. It had been working fine. What happened to it while it was sitting here next to the computer? Can these files be recovered?

It doesn't sound like it is correct. At the least, the FAT is damaged.