Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIRELESS NETWORKING ISSUE....HELP  (Read 3440 times)

Inter

WIRELESS NETWORKING ISSUE....HELP
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »
Hi All,
I have a wireless network set up at my house and have been using it for a while.  There are 2 computers on it, mine and my roommates.  The other day, i took my computer to the library and used another wireless network there and just as i expected everything worked out on it it's own and the computer linked me up with the wireless network in the library.  
Well, the problem arose when i got home and tried to link up the computer to the internet again.  At first it would tell me that it can't configure the IP and some issue with locating the IP address.  
I fooled around with it and got connected, but what happens now that instead of it being automatic connection it is manual.  what i mean by that is that when i shut the computer off or put it in hibernate mode it disconnects and i have to reconnect and re enter in the WEP password.  it is 26 characters long and it is a pain to enter.  besides sometimes even when i have the internet on, it will disconnect me and the popup will say limited of no connectivity, even though the signal strength is 100% and excellent.
Please help.  i have come close to throwing the computer out the window but i know it is not the computer, it is only a setup that i have to change.  My roommate is on the same network and his is working perfectly with no issues what so ever.  
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: WIRELESS NETWORKING ISSUE....HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:06:36 PM »
Do you happen to know if you are using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration, or whatever program is supplied by your wireless adapter manufacturer?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Inter

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:41:59 AM »
Hi,
i am pretty sure i am using the Windows Wireless program to connect.  

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »
Okay.  The first thing to try is removing all known wireless networks.  Find "Network connections" in your control panel.  Right-click on the wireless adapter.  Click the Wireless Networks tab.  Remove all the preferred networks.  Try connecting again.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos